wetsuit or dry suit,or semi dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning on replacing my stolen wetsuit next year, but I am not sure what type to buy for my intended uses.
I plan on diving on the West coast, where the water is cold, as well as lakes and rivers where runoff water can get quite cold, so that makes me want to go dry instead of wet.
I had a few questions, and wanted some straight answers from someone who is not trying to sell me something.
Can I use the dry suit for abalone diving? I'd have no air.
What exactly is a pee valve, and how does it work?
How does a semi dry differ from a wet suit, other than less water getting in?
Are semi drys any warmer than wetsuits?
I really am not sure what to buy. Dry suits are really expensive, plus I'd have to get training on it, and I have been told that without a doubt, I'd neeed a custom suit due to my highth, and weight. 5'4, 190 which would add additional cost to any suit I purchase.
Any advice in these areas would be greatly apprieciated.

Your normal shell drysuit isn't going to be a viable option, it'll have too much drag.
You should be able to get away with a neoprene drysuit, or possibly one of those spiffy "semi-dry" 1-piece suits with an attached hood.
Scuba Max makes a decent suit like that; the material is super stretch & the torso area is metallic lined. Price is about $200.
The big name brands in a similar configuration will run $100-$200 more.
You should really check out the available rack suits before convincing yourself to go custom, you may be suprised.
You will not require drysuit training for freediving a neoprene drysuit, plus it's easy as pie cutting a few inches off the legs & reattaching the boots.
I'm up in Sacramento, if you get one stop on over & I'll show you how its done.
I'll even give you directions to the local Chinese grocery store so you can pick up some cheap prawns to bribe me with.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom