Sharkskin brand wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met someone while diving Roatan this past March who was wearing one. The guy I met raved about it and said it really did keep him warmer than a 3-2, was more comfortable and dried quickly.

They're from "down under" and so far there is only 1 US distributor.

Am thinking about getting one and really want to know if it will keep me as warm as a 3mil...... so if anyone can give me feedback, would appreciate it!!

I have had one for a few years. I think it's not quite as warm as my 3mm full, although it is definitely less buoyant. It's also considerably less stretchy--don't size down.

I used it exclusively on warm water trips for about two years before the underarm seam gave out, and I haven't bothered to fix it yet. I've gone back to my 3mm, which I actually think is more comfortable on account of the stretchiness.

My husband has a Sharkskin hooded vest that he really likes. He wears it with a rashguard and boardshorts when he needs a little more core warmth (he hates wearing neoprene).

I have one from 17 years ago! If its the same brand I love it and wish I could find the hooded shirt. I have been looking all over for one with no luck.

As far as being as warm as a 3mil, I don't know about that, but it is def more warm and comfortable that a normal dive skin.

I have one from 17 years ago! If its the same brand I love it and wish I could find the hooded shirt. I have been looking all over for one with no luck.

As far as being as warm as a 3mil, I don't know about that, but it is def more warm and comfortable that a normal dive skin.

The ones I'm looking at are made in Australia. Did find a dive shop in the states that sells them. If you pm me, I'll send you their info.

I have a long sleeve top that I bought for a trip to Fiji. Was diving in 26/27c temps (80F) with it and boardshorts. As mentioned they don't really stretch at all, so can be a bit of a wrestle to get it on and off.

Mine seems to be very good quality, no problems yet. They can start to stink if you don't wash them properly.

If I was buying one again it would be to use under a wetsuit for a little extra warmth. I would get the vest top because the long sleeves bunch up as you pull on the wetsuit sleeves. The sharkskin has loops for your thumbs but they don't work so well.

As warm as a 3mm? probably not, but it is neutrally buoyant and it definitely keeps the cold out when worn under a wetsuit. They do dry quickly.

Back
Top Bottom