Q:Glue for nylon drysuit valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well I just bought a used OSS Nylon dry suit for almost nothing. The thing only has about 9 dives on it, but the guy who had it didn't like the direction of the inflator valve, so he unscrewed it and twisted it around.
So, of course, it leaks. I peeled off the old glue and re-glued the outside ring with a little rubber cement, and it still leaks. I read an old post where a guy from OSS says to cut the material and re-patch the area and start clean - a big process. There's got to be an easier way.
Can anyone recommend glue that will seal the valve right onto the clean area? Also, in general, what is the best glue to use on nylon?
Thanks!!
Rick

Does the critter have a "valve port", or is the valve screwed directly onto the suit fabric?
A valve port is a rubber disc about 4" in diameter that gets glued down onto the suit, usually allows a valve to seal onto it w/o any glue.
Check the bottom right hand corner of this PDF file for a pic: http://www.sitech.nu/pdf/compact-catalogue_JUNE_2003.PDF

Bob3 once bubbled...
Does the critter have a "valve port", or is the valve screwed directly onto the suit fabric?
A valve port is a rubber disc about 4" in diameter that gets glued down onto the suit, usually allows a valve to seal onto it w/o any glue.
Check the bottom right hand corner of this PDF file for a pic: http://www.sitech.nu/pdf/compact-catalogue_JUNE_2003.PDF
It is screwed directly onto the suit fabric. No valve port. Whadda' ya think?
Thanks!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... you won't get anything else to stick.
Do you mean, I won't get anything else to stick except silicone? Are you saying to use silicone?
Thanks!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Have you determined from talking with OSS that they did indeed use silicone originally?
No. The glue I pealed off was clear - looked and felt like silicone.
Good idea I call them, uh?

(Ten Mins. later...)
Called them and the nice lady said it is silicone calking! She said that should work and suggested I order PB300 glue w/patches for any leaks in the fabric in the future.
Sound good?

Rick Inman once bubbled...

No. The glue I pealed off was clear - looked and felt like silicone.
Good idea I call them, uh?

(Ten Mins. later...)
Called them and the nice lady said it is silicone calking! She said that should work and suggested I order PB300 glue w/patches for any leaks in the fabric in the future.
Sound good?

Back
Top Bottom