Polar fleece VS fleece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the differnce between "Polarfleece" underthings, and just regular Fleece underthings?
(Besides the price)
I was shopping and found some "fleece" undergarments, and the label said all the thing they claim "Polarfleece" does, such as wicking away moisture and retains heat when wet Etc. It is some sort of polyester material. Is "Polarfleece" just a registered trade name for "fleece"?

I think you are referring to POLARTEC. Which is a registered trademark for a certain kind of fleece (I forget the exact name) made by Malden Mills...

There are alot of companies that make FLEECE, but only one that makes POLARTEC Fleece...

So then what is the difference between Polartec, and regular fleece? They seem to use the same measurements like 100, 200, 300 wt

on Polarfleece and Polartec.

http://www.polartec.com/mm/

Price isn't everything; there is also quality and value to consider. I have some non-Polartec fleece drysuit undies, and they have some significant pilling.

diverrick:
So then what is the difference between Polartec, and regular fleece? They seem to use the same measurements like 100, 200, 300 wt

I already answered that in my above post...

diverrick:
What is the differnce between "Polarfleece" underthings, and just regular Fleece underthings?

Fleece comes from your garden variety sheep.

Polarfleece comes from sheep from Antarctica. They're rare, but their coat is superior, producing a much denser and warmer undergarment.

You people... geeze. My man Rick asked a direct question, give him a direct answer.

K

Well, I tried to reply to this, but I was locked out for some reason... DOH!!

ANyways, Polartec is the namebrand for Malden Mills fleece. Everyone else just calls it Fleece... alot of different companies make fleece.

Janice from Softwear uses the good stuff just not advertised as such due to legal reasons...

Do a search for Softwear on SB, and you will find her website where you can order yourself a nice 300 weight jumpsuit, which will be perfect for most diving up here in NE...

Good Luck!!!!

O.K. Now I can see that Polartec is a three layer composite, where plain fleece is just that , fleece, one layer. Is Polartec, far superior, a bit superior, or about the same when it comes to warmth, when compared to fleece?
I know... They all say they are better, warmer, but I am looking for some first hand info, from people who might have used both, under similar conditions. Maybe I should do a poll to see who thinks which is the warmest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom