First time Dry suit buyer needs help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First of all, i do live in houston but still NEED a dry suit. i get cold (uncontrolled shivers) at about 78 degrees after about 15 minutes. So, i want to buy a dry suit, and need advice on which way to go. i definitely want a tri-lam or equivalent (like the nex-gen), but i have a budget of about $650 (not including undergarmets). it would be nice to have some sort of boot built in, and want the rubber neck and wrist seals. Is there anyone who makes a suit that would fit into this category. And how do the nexgens work? are they a type of tri-lam? and are there rubber wrist seals?, i cant tell from the picture. i like the BARE nexgen light, because its about $515, but i woud like to hear your opinions. its unfortunate there isnt a shop around me that keeps them in stock, so i am relying on you guys to help me out. Thanks a bunch.

Well, your best bet with that budget, is to hit ebay, and you might be lucky. Or, try a neoprene drysuit. They tend to be alot cheaper. Look around you might find one on sale somewhere... Maybe others will have some ideas on where to find a cheap drysuit.

IMHO the Bare NEX-GEN is one of the best "entry level" suits out there. I dove one for a winter while spearing and it worked fine - when I sold it you couldn't tell that it had been used, other than a few stains from rust and such.

The other option is the Dacor suits that are around right now in the $400 range, IF THEY FIT. If you're small enough to fit one, basically - all the larges and bigger are long gone.

Ehhh... I would pass at that price. I say hold out until you see an Andy's or even a Bare...

Good Luck...

The NexGen is an inexpensive suit, but its very well made. I beat the snot out of mine spearfishing for a year and failed to do it any harm. Its basic,
but it works.

It does not compare against something like a DUI, but then again it doesn't cost like one either!

justin-branam:
im getting the feeling that the BARE's are really nice suits?

I would not call a BARE a really nice suit. I would hold that for a DUI or an ANdy's. However, quite a few people on this board have them and like them. So, to each his own. FOr your price range, you might be able to find one.

You aren't going to be able to get a good ANDY's or DUI for $650, and definitely not with underwear (which means you really can't spend more than $500 or so for the suit.)

My TLS350 is awesome compared to my former BARE NexGEN, but then again it was a LOT more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom