Whites Fusion SLT/SiTech cuff ring modification step-by-with pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I'm home with the Flu and feeling kind of OK and not like total crap (at this moment in time) I thought I would get this done.

For the disclaimer, this was my first drysuit repair other than p-valves and one neck seal and claim to be no expert on this topic. I have done one dive with the suit after the modification and all went well. Please check back in a year or two to see if the repair has failed, I will update if it happens.

The problem with my Fusion is I have always had a heck of a time getting my wrists and undergarments into the cuffs. I could get my wrists in fine but always had to fight the undergarment. What would happen is the undergarment would not make it all the way through and I would have a cold spot on my wrist. one other thing that was happening was the cuff ring would end up over the palm of my hand and it would make tasks like clipping and unclipping stage bottles a chore. Fed up with the situation I removed the wrist seals for a closer inspection thinking it would be nice to shorten the sleeves a little. This is what I found 100_0788 (Small).jpg When whites attaches the cuffs I think what happens is the suit and cuff rings are inside out and when they turn the suit right side in it causes the cuff and material to pucker causing not just a reduced diameter but edges where the undergarment catches and hangs up. Now what you have is the undergarment pushing the cuff ring down towards you hand and in my case over my palm. So I thought why not hack up the suit and see if I can make it better.

I started by inverting the cuff it takes some strength and a little finesse 100_0793 (Small).jpg so this is what you have. Now what I did was use a heat gun to heat the factory sealing tape 100_0794 (Small).jpg and slowly peel it all off. This is what you will end up with 100_0795 (Small).jpg

Now you will want to use a razor blade or seam ripper to remove all the factory stitching 100_0796 (Small).jpg. this is what it should look like when you are done100_0797 (Small).jpg. No turning back now:D!!!

Now you will need to clean all the threads from the cuffs 100_0798 (Small).jpg. Now I only wanted to shorten the sleeves a small amount, this repair will shorten them about 1/2" anyway. I cut off just the part that had the stitching in it100_0799 (Small).jpg. The next step is to turn the cuff back right side out and scuff up the cuffs with some sand paper( I had some 250 grit and seamed to work fine) 100_0800 (Small).jpg. Now you will need to clean the parts to be glued, I used MEK (yes my local Mom and Pop hardware store still has the real stuff) when you think all the parts are clean, clean them again just to be sure100_0801 (Small).jpg

I had some of the factory recommend heat tape lying around from a neck seal I decided to use contact cement on instead. I cut the tape the proper width and used a heat gun to apply it to the now right side out cuff ring. 100_0802 (Small).jpg100_0803 (Small).jpg Now you will need to fold the cuff in on itself and place it in the sleeve 100_0804 (Small).jpgWhat I did was make sure the seam in the suit was over where the heat tape overlapped so it would possibly give a better seal in this uneven area. Now just heat small portions and roll with a wall paper seam roller. It should look something like this when you are done100_0805 (Small).jpgI will post pictures later of the Velcro installed. to be continued....

Attachments

• 100_0791 (Small).jpg
    100_0791 (Small).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,704
Before and after pics

Before 100_0788 (Small).jpg100_0790 (Small).jpg

After 100_0789 (Small).jpg100_0805 (Small).jpg

The suit is much easier to don and the undergarments slide right into the cuffs, also the cuffs sit right where I think they should sit (on me at least). If you have a better method, advice or just think that I'm a buffoon for doing this to my suit pleas let me know.

This is fascinating . . . I just need to screw up my courage (and get some heat tape).

Same thing can be done with the newer oval wrist rings. (Except I used Aquaseal, not heat tape, since that is what I had). The white dust on my silicon seal is talc as it was quite sticky when new.

Attachments

• Cuff.jpg
    Cuff.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,456
Same thing can be done with the newer oval wrist rings. (Except I used Aquaseal, not heat tape, since that is what I had). The white dust on my silicon seal is talc as it was quite sticky when new.

Do you notice the oval rings to be less bulky? I may have to try them one day.

I need to get a few more dives in, but I didn't notice any difference from my Viking rings being in place. Should help with the can light head though.

And the final product. 100_0809 (Small).jpg

So what this mod is doing is removing the suit material from the inside of the cuff and attaching it to the outside of the cuff. You will need some new Velcro for this, after I was done the old Velcro was about an inch too short:shocked2:. Keep in mind they had it overlapped about a half inch. So all said and done this mod will increase the circumference of the cuff by at least 1.5" and get rid of the puckering. I would like to hear from Whites why they assembled the suit this way. If i was the one assembling these, after the first one I would see there is a problem here. This suit is not known to be the easiest suit to don (it's really not that hard just different)so wouldn't you wan't to as easy as you can?

Mike, thanks for the kind words. I would be interested to hear if Whites is still installing the rings this way. My suit was purchased back when they first came out with there SLT system, that was almost two years ago now. I would hope they would have fixed this but I have not heard anyone else mention it. Maybe I'm just pickier than any other person with this suit?

Mike, thanks for the kind words. I would be interested to hear if Whites is still installing the rings this way. My suit was purchased back when they first came out with there SLT system, that was almost two years ago now. I would hope they would have fixed this but I have not heard anyone else mention it. Maybe I'm just pickier than any other person with this suit?

They still install it the same way. It's not so much where it is installed like your pictures suggest. It's more how they install it. The heat press machine they use to put that seam tape on is the culprit. Even if they install it where you did, same problem. It is their heat press machine and the 600 degree temp that does that :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom