Quick Disconnect for P-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt you would find that valve in the correct size at a local hardware store. All the QD fittings and tubing you need for a p-valve are available from McMaster-Carr. Do a search here on SB and you can get the actual parts numbers for what you will need. I think I spend about $25 for everything from McMaster.

I doubt you would find that valve in the correct size at a local hardware store. All the QD fittings and tubing you need for a p-valve are available from McMaster-Carr. Do a search here on SB and you can get the actual parts numbers for what you will need. I think I spend about $25 for everything from McMaster.
Thanks.

I did a deeper search and found an old thread with the parts. Before shipping I'm out about $11.00, but I'll have 9 extra of the "male" part (attaches to the catheter). I won't save much money vis-a-vis buying the Light Monkey variant, but I'll easily be able to make a flushing hookup and have a couple spares in my save-a-dive kit. All-in-all, not a bad deal

Last edited:
I am so glad I found this post. I just got three QD for the price of one. They are an exact match you would get drama online store that would charge $25 plus shipping for one QD. Yes I installed it on my suit and it fits. Go with the 3/8 for the 1/4 tube ID.

I am so glad I found this post. I just got three QD for the price of one. They are an exact match you would get drama online store that would charge $25 plus shipping for one QD. Yes I installed it on my suit and it fits. Go with the 3/8 for the 1/4 tube ID.

I know this is an old post, but it's very relevant to me now as I'm setting up a QD for my Halcyon p-valve. My question to you is, why use 3/8" fittings for 1/4" ID Norprene tubing? The Norprene is pretty stiff and already fairly snug with the 1/4" fittings. Did you find the 3/8" fit better when connected to the catheter tip? Thx!

I found the 3/8" fittings are more secure on the 1/4" tubing, felt like 3/8" tubing would require a clamp to be secure.

I do not recommend the Norprene tubing, too stiff and impossible to tell if the inside is clean. McMaster had more flexible, clear, but more expensive tubing that I now use. I've posted the details before but don't have it here now.

Thanks for the reply guys. I originally ordered the 3/8" fittings but found they were excessively tight with the Norprene tubing (1/4" ID) that comes attached to the Halcyon p-valve, so I switched to the 1/4" fittings. I totally get what you're saying about restricting size, but hopefully these should work for me. They fit great with the tubing and because they are barbed, are super tight without a clamp. I'll have to wait to get home to try the fittings with the Rochester catheters I have.

As for the tubing, you are probably talking about Tygon tubing, which is very chemically resistant and would be a little more flexible than the Norprene. It also comes in clear, so it would be easier to see if it was dirty too. I'll try out the Norprene for now and look into Tygon if I have any problems. Dec 12-13 will be the big p-valve test.

I got 1/4 fuel line disconnects ,, same thing,, and you can get them with check valves in them. Here is an example Fuel Line Hose Quick Disconnect Connect Dual Shut Off 1 4" White | eBay

Yeah, those are the same things. The only point folks above were making was if you're leaving the cath on for most of the day and you get stuck having to "relieve" yourself when you're not connected to your suit, having a valve on the "human" side means you can't just let it flow without taking the fitting off. I opted for open ended on the human side (valved on the suit side) so I can relieve myself through the tubing into the proper receptacle if needed after diving. To each their own...it may not make a difference one way or the other as this is really set up to help you clear your plumbing underwater anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom