Swimming ability in different drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkySFD

Reaction score
At work I "get" to use a Viking drysuit. It keeps you dry, but its hard to move around. I mean its almost like your going nowhere slow. Its also pretty restrictive as far as arm movement compared to a wetsuit.

I am shopping for a drysuit and had thought I wanted a DUI CLX450. Now Im rethinking that. Im wondering if the crushed neoprene suits would swim better and be less restrictive.?.? I know they weigh more but its not that big a factor for me.

I have to go to a DOG days event and try them out. Can anyone familiar with both types of suits fill me in?

Swimability and restrictive movement????

I have personally dove just about all styles of drysuits available and I have switched around several times so from my experience...

"Shell" style suits no matter what they are made of need to be baggy to allow you some freedom of movement and to allow you space to wear the necessary Undergarments to keep you warm. What this adds up to in the water is "DRAG" .

The advantage to a shell suit is that they are easy to repair and they dry quickly.

"Neoprene" suits (not crushed) usually have far less drag than their baggy shell counterparts due to the fact that they are suppose to fit more snugly. Keep in mind that in many cases you don't need to wear any undergarments in a neoprene suit and if you do you seldom need to wear anything that is very thick due to the neoprene's thermal caracteristics.

Keep in mind that a well made modern neoprene suit is very strechy and ease of movement is usually not a problem. (don't equate a snug fitting wetsuit with a drysuit they are very different) Or an old neoprene suit with their modern counterparts.

Kevin Parkhurst
IDEA Instructor 3402

SparkySFD:
At work I "get" to use a Viking drysuit. It keeps you dry, but its hard to move around. I mean its almost like your going nowhere slow. Its also pretty restrictive as far as arm movement compared to a wetsuit.

I am shopping for a drysuit and had thought I wanted a DUI CLX450. Now Im rethinking that. Im wondering if the crushed neoprene suits would swim better and be less restrictive.?.? I know they weigh more but its not that big a factor for me.

I have to go to a DOG days event and try them out. Can anyone familiar with both types of suits fill me in?

Are you using it for work?

Check out the newer Viking material, still vulkanized rubber but the backing material allows it to stretch... Very comfortable suits...

Crushed neoprene do swim better than non-stretch material (nylon or rubber) they are comfortable suits also and easy to repair.

Jeff Lane

SparkySFD:

Are you keeping enough air in it? You should have a slight squeeze on the suit, but if it's restricting your movements, it may be too much of one.

I dive a shell suit and have no problems with it being restrictive. I've also used a neoprene suit. Initially the neoprene suit seemed more user friendly to a newcomer to drysuits, but after some practice I like the shell much better.

I have a neo and a shell type and to me the shell is alot more manuverable despite the loose fit. The neo is just too bulky. I've never tried a crushed neo but really enjoy the benefits of a shell and will probably stay with them ie - easier to dry, lighter, pack smaller etc

Thanks for the comments guys. Very helpful.

rmediver2002

Yes. The Viking is a work suit only. For what its used for I guess its fine. If I have to use it for work the water can often be contaminated. Day before yesterday I had to hook up a tow cable to pull a backhoe out of the lake. There was some gas and oil in the water.

I am fairly new to drysuit diving. Use as little air as possible. Just enough to ease the squeeze. I am getting way more comfortable diving dry.

Just really like being unrestricted. I really thought a shell was the way to go. I have to really dive one to be sure but I can see now where it could be a real drag. Is it like being in a bag? The Viking sure feels that way.

SparkySFD:
Yes. The Viking is a work suit only. For what its used for I guess its fine. If I have to use it for work the water can often be contaminated. Day before yesterday I had to hook up a tow cable to pull a backhoe out of the lake. There was some gas and oil in the water.
QUOTE]

Try getting used to the rubber suit, it is easier to repair and easier to clean after working...

Those stretch rubber suits are supposed to be as durable as the normal vikings but I have only seen them in 1010 gm.

Bob3 could give you a better idea on the wieghts and cost...

I use a Gates (Hunter) but Amron has one also.

Jeff Lane

SparkySFD:
Thanks for the comments guys. Very helpful.

rmediver2002

I am fairly new to drysuit diving. Use as little air as possible. Just enough to ease the squeeze. I am getting way more comfortable diving dry.

Just really like being unrestricted. I really thought a shell was the way to go. I have to really dive one to be sure but I can see now where it could be a real drag. Is it like being in a bag? The Viking sure feels that way.

One problem you may be facing if you use this for work is trim. In a lot of instances people that are doing underwater work can't stay in a horizontal position. Therefore all the air comes to the top and creates a lot more squeeze on the legs/torso.

A situation like that may make a neoprene suit more desirable.

Check out the newer Viking material, still vulkanized rubber but the backing material allows it to stretch... Very comfortable suits...
I'll vouch for the new Pro Tech / Combat suit too. I've never done a side-by side "yank test" but the Viking material has about the same amount of stretch as a crushed neoprene.
Is it like being in a bag?
Shell suits are very often called "bag suits", it goes with the territory.

I'd like to suggest that any sport suit you get should include contamination resistance. You might have your Viking down for repairs & you could jump your own personal suit if you didn't want to miss a day's dive pay.
Most all laminated suits are unsuitable for any kind of petroleum exposure; the stuff gets sopped up in the outer nylon layer as well as any untaped sewn seams. A little petroleum will go a long way in degrading that type of material.
How do you feel towards neoprene suits? a 4mm compressed provides a decent compromise.
Bob3 could give you a better idea on the wieghts and cost
Viking's new suit is way stretchier than the Gates 1050.
The material weighs in at 875 gm m², with the weight difference being accounted for by the Supplex lining. They cost a tad more than the standard Pro 1000
Are you using the Pro 1000 or the HD? (weighs 1500 grams to the square meter)

http://www.trelleborg.com/protective/template/T036.asp?id=634&lang=2
(Combat suit is the same as the Pro Tech, they just give more specs on the Combat page)

I should have been more specific. I am looking to buy a suit for personal diving ONLY. Will never be used to work in.

At work we have two Viking suits and two other spares. So the possibility of having to use my own is remote at best.

This is only for personal use. Recreational diving. Would love to in the near future take some courses and pursue wreck diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom