Which drysuit for less weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polari

Registered
Reaction score
Need a new drysuit and looking one that does not need much weight.I already had use 2 with compressed neoprene material and the use of less weight would be a plus.What material or which one you prefer for this in mind?

Assuming my understanding is correct, talking suits, trilam/bilam, hyper compressed neo, crushed neo and neo in that order (least to most weight) Undergarments and how much air you have in your suit will be the big factor.

The (extra) weight you need will mostly depend on the volume of air that will be in your drysuit.

The volume of air is mostly dependend on the fitting of the drysuit for your bodyshape and the type of undergarnment.

Whereas the fitting is independent of the material, the type of undergarnment is likely to be dependent on the type of suit; i.e. the more insulating the suit, the less thicker undergarnment you need.

I am using a compressed 4mm neoprene drysuit and that works well for me with a leightweight undergarnment, even in the low 40F.

My first drysuit was a trilam and I had a need for having more air in the drysuit to stay warm.
Also, extra air can (and will) be an issue for buyoncy, especially for staying warm at stops.

Therefore, even so the material of the drysuit is a key factor (as mentioned, I prefer compressed neoprene for its insulating qualities) you should take the following factors overall in consideration:

(1) fitting of the drysuit for your bodysize
(2) material of the drysuit
(3) quality of the undergarnment. (Highquality undergarnment can have better insulating factors and meight therefore not need to be as thick)

Thanks.Like you said now i think my problem is the fitting.I bought my drysuits online (ebay) and always choose the xl to be on the safe side.But the suits are feeling "roomy" on the chest and belly,and long on the legs.
Iam 5.10 215lb chest size 44-45 so some of my measurements are for the Large and some for the XL suit size.
Maybe i need a custom.
By searching the most flexible known companies on size i guess it must be the whites fusion on the LRG/XLRG size.I am somewhat hesitant to order one with out knowing if that is a right size for my body type.

The manufacurers have sizing charts you can use to measure what size you use...
Im about the same height as you, but only about 190 lbs and my Bare suit is sized as MLT and it fits pretty much perfect... as long as I dont eat TOO much the coming holiday season :p

I'm between two sizes depending where you're measuring and anything off the rack was either going to be too short or too baggy. I ended up going custom, price was not that different from off the rack.

I was able to drop 8 lbs of weight when I sent from a bilam to my SEAC 4mm high density neoprene. It's much more streamlined and definitely less buoyant. Also, if you're between sizes you can go with the smaller of a neoprene suit because the neoprene should stretch enough to make it work.

Well, got a lrg/xlrg fusion that fits me right but needs more undergarment to stay warm.So basically i need the same lead as my previews 4mm neoprene drysuits.I do prefer the neoprene though.

Now i want to try a 2mm neoprene drysuit (bare XCS2) with neutral buoyancy undergarments.I already order the lavacore undergarments.
Just afraid if 2mm is not warm enough.

Well, got a lrg/xlrg fusion that fits me right but needs more undergarment to stay warm.So basically i need the same lead as my previews 4mm neoprene drysuits.I do prefer the neoprene though..

This is exactly my experience and I have been very vocal on these boards about this point. A well fitted neoprene suit will need the same weight to sink because you are wearing less undergarment. It is a toastier stretchier material.

@Captain What is your setup right now? And if you had to start from 0 again (money not a major factor)what suit and undergarments you will choose ?

Back
Top Bottom