drysuit add-ons worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

Due to the cold waters where we dive (Northern CA) in the winter, we want to go the trilam drysuit route (in our case DUI TLS series). We are both recreational shore divers, but I would also like the option to occasionally do boat dives (maybe even a live aboard once every other year). I am, however, faced with the seemingly endless choices of add-on options for the drysuits and am seeking advice from experienced divers as to what is worth the added price or not in my situation.

1) butt pads: are these meant for a special sort of activity? Do people tend to ruin their suits in their buttocks area when they sit down on a bench in-between dives or on a boat? In fact, should you avoid sitting down in a drysuit in general unless you have butt pads?

2) knee pads: I am not planning on crawling on the ocean floor, maybe only occasionally gently kneeling on the ocean floor if I have adjustments to make on my equipment. Have people noticed that knees wear out quickly on a drysuit?

3) pockets: they are expensive to add on. I know most tech divers and instructors need them, but I am just recreational. Do non-tech divers regret not having in-built pockets down the line? (my BCD already has two pockets) Would pocket shorts fit over drysuits and get the job done?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Adding a pocket to a drysuit costs about $40... Just get the Highland Thigh Pocket kit. It even includes Aquaseal which is dead simple to use.

Pockets are handy. I store an SMB + reel in mine typically. It is also a good spot to put a slate or some tables.

Best drysuit add-ons:
Neoprene warm neck
Wrist rings
Dry gloves

I'm not sure what butt pads are for, unless you scooch around on concrete surfaces regularly. But if you do any shore diving, knee pads can be nice when you, inevitably, fall or get knocked down on entry, or have to crawl out.

Pockets are awfully nice. Dry suit pockets are generally very easy to get into (as opposed to pockets on BCs in many cases). They are capacious enough to hold rolled-up snorkels, whistles, mirrors, SMBs and spools, backup lights . . . just about any kind of reserve equipment you want to have with you, but would prefer not to have hanging off you. The pocket shorts do work, but they are much better on smooth suits like wetsuits or Fusions than on crumply laminate suits like the TLSs, and they cost over $100 anyway. The only downside of pockets is that they make turning the suit inside out a little more difficult.

If you're diving a BP/W (or any system with a crotch strap) - you should consider getting the cloverleaf patch to prevent the strap from chafing the suit.

I've done a fair amount of shore entries here in the Midwest (cave's, springs, quarries and lakes.) My knee pads have gotten some wear.

Regarding pockets - I like the Large Halcyon (or similar by other vendors). I like my pockets so much - I had pockets glued on to my wetsuit too! :) Very handy.

Also - although not exactly an accessory - consider building a PVC drying rack for your suit. Much easier on the suit than turning it inside out to dry. I use a small fan to ventilate the suit - and ensure it is completely dry before storing.

IMG_0204.jpg

Bjorn

Pockets first, without a doubt. Agree with the large Halcyon mentioned above. Either ZIP gloves or the SiTech system, and a P-valve.

Two large pockets are a requirement to carry your safety gear. You need to carry an SMB diving here. I boat dive a lot and carry a Nautilus Lifeline, but a PLB would be excellent too. You should be carrying a whistle and signal mirror too. I carry wet notes and shears in my right pocket. Pockets are next to impossible to install later without sending the suit out to be sewn. Glue just doesn't hold well to a Trilam suit.

Butt pads, I have never needed, but knee pads are something I have darn near worn out. I tend to kneel a lot while getting things ready and gearing up.

I am another one that says get a pee-valve for the mens suit at least. Halcyon's are known to flow very well.

Not that there is anything wrong with a DUI suit, but have you considered a Santi? They come with AWESOME pockets, and lots of features not found on a DUI. Watch the video.
Santi E. Motion Drysuit | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
[url]http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/drysuitsundiesdrysuits-santi-espacedrysuit-p-3291.html

[/URL]

A definite yes to the pockets.

I have the Light Monkey Tinkle valve installed on my Whites Fusion Tech. I highly recommend it. If you have never used a pee valve, you need to read up on the subject here on ScubaBoard.

The knee pads are a good addition bcause of the need to kneel at times. Getting knocked over on a surf entry means a chance of damaging the drysuit on even small rocks. Pads now will save the time and expense of repairs later on.

Thanks so much everyone.
So it seems the majority thinks pockets and knee pads are a good idea. And quite a few seem to like the P-valve.

bl6394: my BC does not have crotch straps, but the drysuit itself has a crotch strap due to the telescoping torso. is that still reason to get the cloverleaf pad?

Peter_C: the Santi suits look great, but my local LDS (who I really like and want to support) is DUI dealer, and I also like the "ZipSeal" user replaceable wrist and neck seals, so I can repair seals myself or even swap dry gloves and regular seals

Back
Top Bottom