Dry Suit Performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a USIA dry suit and thermal garment (USIA thermal garment to wick moisture away) and used it the first time without a leak this past weekend. This was the first time I ever used a dry suit so I need to know if it did a good job. First of all my T shirt and swim suit I had on were totally dry. That fact in and of itself was wonderful. The outside of the thermal garment was wet (lightly damp). My suit has booties attached and they were like the thermal garment, just barely wet. The inside of the dry suit had some small water droplets.

I was diving in a spring 65 deg F. I did not have to kick very much and the dive was only about 25 minutes.

During the dive I didn't feel any trickle.

Did the suit perform as it should have or should I have come up bone dry? I thought the moisture could have been from sweat. Any insight is appreciated.

DiveLvr

If the moisture is fairly evenly distributed, and the clothing next to your skin is dry, you are likely looking at condensation. Depending on air temperature and the wicking capacity of your undergarment, this can actually be considerable.

If the dampness is concentrated in one area, or if you can wring water out of any part of the clothing, you have a leak.

I'm in Ohio and wear a DUI Polartec Powerstretch undergarment and I experience this all the time. I have a thin thin layer of moisture on the outside of the undergarment that when my suit is unzipped usually is completely dry within 2 -3 minutes or so. At first I thought I had a leak in my suit then I realized I was getting the greenhouse effect going on inside of my suit.

I'm in Ohio and wear a DUI Polartec Powerstretch undergarment and I experience this all the time. I have a thin thin layer of moisture on the outside of the undergarment that when my suit is unzipped usually is completely dry within 2 -3 minutes or so. At first I thought I had a leak in my suit then I realized I was getting the greenhouse effect going on inside of my suit.

Same undergarment, same effect. It even happened on dives at 37F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! Thanks guys. I felt it was the condensation too (very humid cool day and then diving in 65 ish degree water). Big help. Thanks again.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 11:11 AM ----------

So what is a good sock to wear. I used two pair a gym socks but I would think there is something better than that.

I got a pair of 4th element artic socks...not bad ....on really cold dives I wear a pair of regular socks under them and my feet are warm

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I wear a pair of merino wool socks then 3mm neoprene socks for thickness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last question, my dry suit "booties" don't fit very well in the fin pockets. I use a XL large Scubapro Jet fin. What kind of fins have a large enough pocket for drysuit usage.

DiveLvr

As for the socks I use a pair of silk socks(for wicking layer ) and a thick/heavy wool sock over. The fin you may need to go one size larger than what you normally dive with in a wet suit. my fins after a dive are a little tough to get off just wiggle them back and forth and they will come off I all so had to go to a larger spring strap

Back
Top Bottom