tizip leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Santi suit with a tizip. The zip is from beginning of march 2012. When I forget to use the silicone grease, I get wet, the suit totally floods. Other dives say we never grease and never problems.
Sometimes I grease and get still wet. Then a next dive I am dry.
The problem is, I don't know when the zip leaks and when not. Without grease it leaks 100% of the time. With grease it leaks just sometimes. But I do technical diving, so I need to trust the suit.
What can I do to prevent leaking? If you test it, then you don't find a leak.

I had the same issue with a tizip. Passed the leak test but under pressure it leaked. I won't use tizips now.

Problem is that the steel zip in my santi was leaking too. That is replaced without costs (I got problems after less than 50 dives). I had no choice, only tizip was possible (with an mares suit I have done over 600 dives without any problems with a steel zip). So they promised me a good zip. The zip is now 11 months old and I have been wet for a 10 times. Sometimes because I forgot to use grease, in january without any reason the suit flooded at 60m and I had to do a long deco. And today I greased and the suit leaked again.

Ever since I have had my zipper replaced and had a tizip put it my right foot gets damp.

I thought I punctured a hole in the suit but i am not able to find a leak in the boot. Now after reading this thread i wonder if the zipper is the issue. I'll have to check after a dive if my underwear is damp by the end of the zipper in the drysuit. Might be the reason why.

Hopefully it is not because i quite like the tizip and the ease of use.

Regards

Steve

I had the same issue with a tizip. Passed the leak test but under pressure it leaked. I won't use tizips now.

I have had two metal zippers break between the teeth with less than 40 dives on each one. I would not purchase a suit with a metal zipper again. I have had a TiZip on my bare for two years and not a leak yet, I love the TiZip! The only issue I have seen to date with a TiZip is on a friends suit and it would not close all the way due to the placement of the zipper cover on the suit.

When I first got my Santi, I had a similar issue.

It totally resolved after lubricating (using the one from Santi or even one for a metal zipper) just the very end part of the zipper. You don't have to lube the whole thing! It is important to lube the "horseshoe" looking end-part.

BTW: I will never dive any other zipper but the TZip ever again!

Let me know if you have any further issues with it after trying to lube just that part.

Claudia

I have not had any issue with the Tzip. I just lubed the closing end when new and again every 3 months(about 34-38 dives)

If the pressure is balanced on both sides of the suit the zipper should not have any problems but sometimes ..it happens.
If the pressure on the inside causes a squeeze effect on the diver - vacuum effect toward the water , that could cause the zipper to be more likely to allow water in the suit.

I know from my zip that I need to grease the docking end EVERY dive. Do I forget it, then it leaks. But sometimes I do it and it it still leaks.
With my suit it is not a little bit leaking, when it start leeking, the suit totally floods.
I have had this directly at the beginning of dives. When I went up and then down again during a shallow recreational dive (first part of dive dry, then when going under again, then flooded), at a 60m depth.
I don't have heating under my suit because I don't trust that. I dive in cold waters, sometimes under ice. So a leak is a big problem.

I don't like to have a lot of air in the suit, but I had never problems with the steel zip, I just put air in it as much as needed not to squeeze. My other suit (that leaks too now, but that is a glue-problem on stitches, will be repaired, warranty) has a steel zip and never problems). I have done dives to over 330ft, so it is not that I don't know how to dive a drysuit.

Wow -- I haven't had anywhere near that much trouble with mine. I lubricate the end every two or three dives. If I forget and don't do it for a while, the zipper will be hard to dock and may leak initially -- but since our water is cold enough that a leak becomes pretty obvious even as you are standing and doing your gear checks, I back out and have my buddy yank on it a couple more times, and it seats and the leak stops.

Back
Top Bottom