Is Bag Balm/Petroleum Jelly Safe for Latex Neck Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been getting some pretty bad abrasions on my throat from my latex neck seal. I'm told that lubing the seal with seal saver or personal lubricants will cut down on friction and prevent the rash. Looking around the board, I've read that water-based lubricants wash away too quickly and so petroleum-based products (like Vaseline or Bag Balm) are preferable. I also like the idea that Bag Balm will heal the damage that's already there... But won't it degrade the seal?

According to the DUI website Bag Balm is safe for latex seals, but I thought it was well established that petroleum degrades latex?

Has anyone who is using a petroleum-based product for this noticed a difference in the lifespan of their seals?

After reading a few threads on "hangman's neck" I feel I should also just quickly state that my seal is the right size, I don't want to trim it, no I don't have a latex allergy, and no I don't want to switch to neoprene seals at this time.

Last edited:
Hi Locus,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. You mention having read the post on the DUI website. If you are concerned about the seal I would suggest just adding a coating on your neck before your next dive. At the end of the dive day wash your latex seal with soapy water and rinse well. You should notice an appreciable difference on your neck.

You are right...the burn does not mean the seals are tight.

Please post what you try and how it worked.

Thanks,

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, but my ideal aim with this thread is to ensure the longest possible life for my seal based on the experience of others, not to become a guinea pig myself... If you would be so generous as to supply me with a seal for this purpose I would be only too happy to field test it for you :D

For latex seals you could try talc. Go for a simple, cheap, unscented brand. On my neoprene seals I use veterinary gel which I get from the local farm store. I find this also works on the latex seals in my other Drysuit.

balanus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

According the the advice of drysuit guru Steve Gamble, nothing but pure unscented talc is used on my seals.

Doesn't talc mud up pretty quickly if you're doing multiple dives and some moisture gets between your skin and the seal?

Doesn't talc mud up pretty quickly if you're doing multiple dives and some moisture gets between your skin and the seal?

I talc the seals when done diving and the suit is dry. I talc the seals and put the suit away. I will talc the seals prior to a dive if they look like the talc has rubbed off. I do not reapply the talc when doing multiple dives on the same day.

The talc does help to slide the seal on, but I believe the main goal of it is to keep the seals dry and absorb any body oils in an effort to prolong the life of the seals. anything else needs washed thoroughly to remove it prior to storage.

Have you tried some KY jelly? On warm days where I will be sweating while donning my drysuit I find KY works wonders for lubing up seals. We all know it is safe for latex.

I found an old stick of Body Glide from back when I was a runner. It's petroleum free and I hear it will do the trick for preventing throat rash, so I'll give it a try and report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom