Whites Fusion DS Sizing Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGE925

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm returning to diving after a very long hiatus, and have started to procure a full set of "modern" equipment, some new and some used. Started with a new Halcyon Infinity BP/W, and now have everything but a dry suit. One dive in the cold water and I was immediately reminded how much I disliked wetsuits way back when. Drysuits are much more prevalent now than when I was active, and many people up here use them.

After a lot of research and review reading, I've taken an interest in the Whites Fusion line, preferably the Tech or Bullet skin. I'm going to post a WTB ad in the classifieds here, but I have a general question on getting the appropriate size. I'm 5'8" and about 175 lbs, though happily on a slight downward trend, though I don't expect to get much below170 ;o) I had an opportunity to try on a Fusion Tech when a nearby LDS was clearing out their rental fleet. Unfortunately, the only sizes they had were 2XL/3XLs, and the clerk at the store ABSOLUTELY insisted it was the size for me, non-negotiable. I called his bluff and tried it on, and I thought I looked pretty silly. Yes it fit, but the arms and legs were very long and there was a lot of excess material everywhere. Looking at photos of people wearing Fusions, they are supposed to be pretty form-fitting. Per the Whites sizing chart, with my various measurements, I seem to fall pretty well into the L/XL sizing, though a couple of my measurements, leg length and chest, are more S/M.

For those who have the Fusion, how overall is it on someone who is in-between sizes, and is it better to go a bit oversized than undersized? Is anyone out there about my size and using the L/XL? From what I understand, the bag can be a bit oversized, but it's all brought under control by the skin? For now, I'll be using it primarily in Eastern Canada, mostly in the St Lawrence and Great Lakes including under ice by next year, so I'll be using a range of undergarments from a summertime thin layer to a very thick layer+ in mid-winter.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

It is better to have a fusion with a little extra room vs. too small. But with your height and weight, and some measurements fitting the s/m size, it sounds like the 2XL/3XL would be more that a "little extra.", unless you have a particularly large chest or very broad shoulders. The outer "skin" does indeed compensate for a little extra material in the inner layer if it's there. Insisting you need a 2XL/3XL sounds more like someone who wants to sell what they have vs. someone who wants you to have the right size. I'm a s/m, but I'm a hippy woman, and prefer the l/xl in the Bullet for a little more mobility. The sleeves on the l/xl need to be cuffed at the bottom, and there are some wrinkles of extra fabric in the legs, but there is no difference in how it dives.

It is better to have a fusion with a little extra room vs. too small. But with your height and weight, and some measurements fitting the s/m size, it sounds like the 2XL/3XL would be more that a "little extra.", unless you have a particularly large chest or very broad shoulders. The outer "skin" does indeed compensate for a little extra material in the inner layer if it's there. Insisting you need a 2XL/3XL sounds more like someone who wants to sell what they have vs. someone who wants you to have the right size. I'm a s/m, but I'm a hippy woman, and prefer the l/xl in the Bullet for a little more mobility. The sleeves on the l/xl need to be cuffed at the bottom, and there are some wrinkles of extra fabric in the legs, but there is no difference in how it dives.

Thanks Kim. I'm pretty normally proportioned for my height, no wide chest or shoulders. The extra pounds are firmly planted at and slightly above my waist ;o( You are absolutely right that he was simply trying to unload the suit on me regardless of whether it truly fit, and I don't plan to do much business with them. Perhaps the fact that he was literally 5"3" and over 250 lbs skewed his thinking a bit towards the 2/3XL, but I just didn't like how much extra arm and leg length there was.

Hi Jeff,

I'm the same dimensions as you (or at least was when I purchased my Tech Fusion) and the L/XL fits perfectly with the same size White's Thermal Fusion undergarment plus a Icebreak 200 wt base layer. I have size 9 feet and went with the size 11 neoprene boots in order to accommodate a Fourth Element Arctic sock.

If you are going to travel I'd go with the Tech as it dries faster than the Bullet which takes ages to dry and is very heavy when wet. Definitely get the silicone replaceable neck and wrist seals with dry gloves. You'll really love the flexibility of the suit (Tech is more flexible than Bullet) and it makes diving cold water all the more enjoyable.

Hi Jeff,

I'm the same dimensions as you (or at least was when I purchased my Tech Fusion) and the L/XL fits perfectly with the same size White's Thermal Fusion undergarment plus a Icebreak 200 wt base layer. I have size 9 feet and went with the size 11 neoprene boots in order to accommodate a Fourth Element Arctic sock.

If you are going to travel I'd go with the Tech as it dries faster than the Bullet which takes ages to dry and is very heavy when wet. Definitely get the silicone replaceable neck and wrist seals with dry gloves. You'll really love the flexibility of the suit (Tech is more flexible than Bullet) and it makes diving cold water all the more enjoyable.

Perfect, that's just the sort of advice I was looking for, thanks very much. Great point about the boots as well. I knew I had to go well oversized but wasn't sure by how much, so I'll try for an 11, as my shoe size is identical to yours.

Thanks also for the comments on the seals and gloves, though I admit the technical details are still a bit fuzzy for me. Can I assume that any of the three Fusion drysuits can accept any dry glove system, so could I accept a stock suit and retrofit a dry glove system after the fact?

I'd also read lots about the drying time issue with these various skins, and I am still most interested in the Tech, and maybe one day picking up a Sport skin for travel down south to Florida. Still, assuming there aren't THAT many deals out there so I can pick and choose, I'm posting the WTB ad casting the net wide and accepting any of the skins. Worst case I end up having to bite the Bullet because that's the best I can find, I can always look for a used Tech or Sport skin and sell the Bullet skin sometime down the road.

How old is your setup, and would you be interested is selling? Sorry, had to ask ;o)

Like they said, a LG/XL is the optimal size for you. A 2XL/3XL...HOLY COW! That would have been a mistake!

Incase you didn't know, right now if you order a Fusion with their Replaceable Seal System (SLT) you get a Free Thermal Fusion Undergarment ($450 value).

Yes, the three systems will all accept the same dryglove systems as long as the replaceable wrist system, if installed, is compatible. The round system won't work with Oval glove rings and vice versa. I have a LG/XL Bullet and have never had any issues with drying. It's pretty much always dry the next day of diving, and has held up beautifully over the years! I know we have some used Fusions at the shop, I'm at home right now, but you can always give me a call Monday when we are open and we can see what we have.

Thanks to all for the advice. I found a great deal on the Board here and picked up a very nice, lightly used L/XL Fusion Bullet with a ton of accessories (thanks Nathan!). Fits perfectly, can't wait to get it in the water. Next step is to pick up a Fusion Sport skin for traveling. If anyone has one for sale, please let me know.

Checkout diverightin for a sport skin, good prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checkout diverightin for a sport skin, good prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Already done ;o) They are sending me a Sport skin as soon as the shipment arrives from Whites, (they were out of stock) along with a few other things I needed. Debbie at DRIS has been fantastic to deal with, she even called Whites to see if they would just drop ship the skin to me to avoid Customs, extra cross-border shipping etc. Canada to Canada shipping to keep things simple. They refused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom