Camaro brand wetsuits? / hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone familiar with Camaro brand wetsuits? It's an Austrian company. I've been searching for a hooded vest with a 2 mm body but thicker hood, and this is the only manufacturer I have been able to find. Camaro makes a product called Ice Vest Pro that has a 2 mm body and a 4 mm hood.

EVO makes an inexpensive 2 mm, but the hood is 2 mm as well. Stepping up to 3 mm body with 5 mm hood, there are more options, but that's too thick for my needs.

+1mm will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, eh?

Never heard of them. Probably the same chinese garbage neoprene everybody else on the market is using these days...

I would probably just go for something by a reputable company stateside...someone with a nice product warranty?

I currently like Waterproof USA's stuff.

A few years ago I picked up a camaro 5mm hoodless semidry for colder NC water. My LDS at that time had some in stock. Wore a detached hood. It had the kind of neoprene that does not compress much. Was a good warm suit. Problem was that over a couple years I added a few pounds and it barely fit when I got it. Also it was not so stretchy and with my current shoulders it was a bit of work to take off so I passed it on and got a 7mm hyperstretch.

Overall it seemed very well made and a tough suit.

A few years ago I picked up a camaro 5mm hoodless semidry for colder NC water. My LDS at that time had some in stock. Wore a detached hood. It had the kind of neoprene that does not compress much. Was a good warm suit. Problem was that over a couple years I added a few pounds and it barely fit when I got it. Also it was not so stretchy and with my current shoulders it was a bit of work to take off so I passed it on and got a 7mm hyperstretch.

Overall it seemed very well made and a tough suit.

That's interesting because Camaro advertises the hooded vest as being made of something stretchier than normal neoprene, and that appeals to me. Hooded vests can be a pain to don and doff, and I was hoping for something like Hyperstretch. Unfortunately, Henderson doesn't make a hooded vest thinner than 3 mm body with 5 mm hood.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the extra millimeter might make. I am trying to replace a Lavacore hooded vest with something warmer, and it's been said that Lavacore is probably equivalent to about 1.5 mm of neoprene. So I figured I would look for a 2 mm neoprene vest. If I were to jump to 3 mm, that would make a total of 8 mm when worn under my 5 mm suit--that's a lot of neoprene.

Back
Top Bottom