dry glove system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pieper1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im looking to get dry gloves for my dry suit and was wondering what systems you have had good luck with. I was thinking about the si tech quick clamp system but want to know what others think and use.

I use the Kubi glove system and would recommend them. Can use marigolds and Showas. Made from aluminum, small diameter and easyish to get on and off. Have not leaked so far. Downside a little spendy. Buy direct from Kubi.sk, shipping is reasonable and gloves are cheaper than the US. If you buy in the US contact Mike at DRIS.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2014 at 08:52 PM ----------

In the US sold under the UTD brand.

I have the Viking bayonet system and the SiTech quick glove system. I prefer the Vikings -- they were designed for hazmat diving, and are a positive lock system. You know whether they have seated or not before you get in the water, and once they have, they cannot pop off. The SiTech gloves have a learning curve, and at the beginning, it's easy to crimp the O-ring and have a terrible leak. Once I learned to lick them before donning (really) and to back them off a bit and reseat them, I haven't had any leaks.

The sleeve ring (inside) is held in place by an O ring and has another ring (securing) on the outside which is also held in place with an O ring. Takes about 5 mins to install and less than a minute to uninstall. No tools required. Initially I was confused as I had no instructions and the gloves came pre assembled incorrectly but once I got some instructions and some pointers from another SB member it was a pretty simple install.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2014 at 01:52 AM ----------

Instructions say cannot use cotton backed gloves eg Showas but this is not true you absolutely can use Showas. I'm using some cool black ones and have changed the gloves 3 times with no leaks. Using Showas are a little bit more fiddly (to install) but I can swap them both out in less than 10 minutes now.

I just bought the UTD/kubi system. Really nice. Have not has a dive with them yet but looking forward to it.

The SiTech gloves have a learning curve, and at the beginning, it's easy to crimp the O-ring and have a terrible leak. Once I learned to lick them before donning (really) and to back them off a bit and reseat them, I haven't had any leaks.

Change the o-ring to a slightly smaller size. That and make sure the Stiff Ring is inserted into the sleeve with the rounded edge showing. In my experience lots of issues with the factory size o-rings and not a one with the smaller size. Off the top of my head they are size #152. I can check and edit my post tonight when I get home if that isn't the correct size.

SiTech stiff ring.jpg

I just bought the UTD/kubi system. Really nice. Have not has a dive with them yet but looking forward to it.

I'd recommend swapping out the gloves that come with them to showas or the like. The gloves that come with them are terribly thin. I really like this system, still no leaks. I'd also recommend either buying the ring stickers, suit side, from Kubi or putting tape around the suit rings as they are prone to get very scratched and a little sharp. I use some waterproof thick tape and it works well. Initially they are a little hard to connect and disconnect. Using a "very" thin layer of lube helps immensely. After they have been used a few times the O ring softens and gets a lot easier, well actually very easy. If you need any pics, advice etc feel free to ask or PM. Good luck.

I'd recommend swapping out the gloves that come with them to showas or the like. The gloves that come with them are terribly thin. I really like this system, still no leaks. I'd also recommend either buying the ring stickers, suit side, from Kubi or putting tape around the suit rings as they are prone to get very scratched and a little sharp. I use some waterproof thick tape and it works well. Initially they are a little hard to connect and disconnect. Using a "very" thin layer of lube helps immensely. After they have been used a few times the O ring softens and gets a lot easier, well actually very easy. If you need any pics, advice etc feel free to ask or PM. Good luck.

can an you recommend a particular Showa glove? I have a harbor freight near by ever use the rubber gloves from there?

can an you recommend a particular Showa glove? I have a harbor freight near by ever use the rubber gloves from there?

I was using some orange 620s but moved to some black 660s. Difference being thickness, I think the 620s are double dipped and the 660s are triple dipped so a little thicker. You do sacrifice a little dexterity for the thicker gloves but so far hasn't caused me any issues.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/477338-black-showa-660-a.html

Interestingly although Showa is a Japanese company you can't actually buy the Black 660s here and I had to get them from the UK. Not sure where you're based but in the US Atlas brand is also used with same numbers i.e 620 and 660. I think the 660s are often seen in blue.

---------- Post added April 30th, 2014 at 08:24 PM ----------

What ever you buy make sure they are at least 30cm long as you need the additional length to fold over rings and make sure they are seamless otherwise you'll need to remove seam to prevent leaks. IIRC, DRIS scuba sell the Atlas ones.

---------- Post added April 30th, 2014 at 08:26 PM ----------

First time fitting Showas or the like can be a little tricky so feel free to PM me if you need any assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom