Si-tech Neck tite user experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNSCUBA1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking into purchasing a SANTI E-Lite or Emotion Drysuit. I was looking at having the Si-tech Neck tite system installed. I have a few questions:

I'm going to be using a backplate/harness. Will this interfere with the Neck tite ring?

How wide is the opening of the ring? I have a big head.

Does the ring impede your ability to reach your valves?

Is it uncomfortable?

How often do neck seals tear?

Over all how do you like the system?

Thanks,

Chris Perzel

Try searching the forum. All those questions have been asked and answered.

Thanks tech3324. Have already searched and read all the necktite messages. Looking for more opinions.

I'm looking into purchasing a SANTI E-Lite or Emotion Drysuit. I was looking at having the Si-tech Neck tite system installed. I have a few questions:

I'm going to be using a backplate/harness. Will this interfere with the Neck tite ring?
It was unusable with my Halcyon BP, the straps ran directly over the ring.
Does the ring impede your ability to reach your valves?
Definitely reduces flexibility but I could still reach the valve
Is it uncomfortable?
Yes
Over all how do you like the system?
I didn't like it in my L/XL Fusion and paid to have it removed and replaced by OEM seal.
There is a new version on the way according to Mike at DRIS which is supposed to be more flexible. If it is, I would try the system again.

My Santi e.Motion came with the system installed from the factory.

The ring doesn't seem to interfere with my harness. I'm not even sure if the harness sits on or off of it, but I don't notice any discomfort underwater. Above water, I feel the straps pushing down more than with my old compressed neoprene suit that did not have a ring, but I wouldn't say it's a problem.

The ring is not gigantic, but I have a pretty big head and I'm able to get it through. The hardest part is pulling the ring over my head when doffing the suit but it is manageable.

I'm up to 26 dives since I got the suit last July (it had to go back to Santi to be recut for about 3 months of that) and the seals are holding up.

Unfortunately, it does impede my ability to reach my valves. It seems to be a problem for people with narrower shoulders, but for somebody with a wider build I suspect it would be a non-issue. I'm 6'1" but wear a size medium t-shirt for reference.

I'm convinced it's a lost cause for singles but for doubles, I'm at least able to touch all 3 knobs. I'm still working on being able to completely manipulate them (just started in doubles a couple months ago), so I'm still hoping I won't need to have the ring taken out. We'll see. The silicone seals are so much more comfortable than latex ones and being able to change a seal yourself in a couple minutes is pretty awesome too.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 09:48 PM ----------

Also, you've probably seen this post about Santi not recommending the system on the e.Motion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...ne-vs-neoprene-wrist-seals-2.html#post6948970. When I asked the (now no longer) US distributor about this once my suit was being sent back to be recut, they said they only don't recommend it for smaller framed people.

I installed the Si-Tech neck ring in a Bare Nex-Gen suit last year. I was worried about the same things you are, such as interference with the straps on my BP/W, being uncomfortable and trouble reaching valves. I have a dozen or so dives on it. I'm diving in cold water, so using thick undergarments. I can't even feel the ring when diving. I don't know if my straps run over it, but I don't notice it. I was practicing valve drills today and it was a little hard to reach the valves, but I'm not sure if this is the ring, or just the fact that the suit is slightly snug...but I was able to reach all three valves. The right valve was a bit difficult, but the isolator and left valve were no problem. All in all, I'd recommend it.

Oh...one thing I have noticed...and I'm not positive this is related to the ring...but when I look up when surfacing, I do get water down the neck seal. I never had this problem before installing the ring. One other thing...the first time I installed a new seal, I had a small crease in it. Didn't think it was a big deal, but it did leak. You have to be very careful to get the seal installed flat with no creases. This isn't as easy as it sounds...but with a little work, it can be done.

I installed it because I had just installed a brand new seal, and split it when cutting it. Very frustrating spending all that time replacing the seal only to have it split. Now...no glue...pull ring, install seal and done. I carry the little roller thing to install the ring in my kit.

I don't know the actual size...maybe 12"...not sure. I don't have a problem donning or doffing the suit with the ring.

John

I was advised directly from Santi against using the system. They said it reduces flexibility. The dealer advised me against it due to my small statue, he said it would likely be uncomfortable and interfere with harness. A friend of mine has it installed on his whites and says he doesn't notice it, he wears a conventional BC.

Be wary about the "new" more flexible ring. We had one which was so flexible that it would invert on itself allowing the seal to pop out of the groove. Needless to say that results in a catastrophic flood. I ended up removing it and replacing it for a stiffer version.

The different versions are a bit confusing, as I think there are three versions. The very original one, which had some issues, then the one that replaced it, and now the newest very flexible one. I have what I think is the 2nd version, from last year, 2013. It's about as flexible as those Aerobie flying rings. Though I may be the only one who played with that as a kid...
Aerobie Pro Flying Ring at REI.com

I'm 5'10, and very lean, and I've never noticed the ring. I installed it myself on a CF200, which was a job to say the least. I haven't noticed it, and I'm using it with the silicone seal which is very comfortable. As the others said I never paid attention to whether the straps go over it, but as mine is glued with the ring on the inside of the suit instead of on the outside, it's kind of a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom