Improving wetsuit gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastingray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys,
I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to seal the seems on neoprene gloves to reduce water movement. I was thinking about using mcnett black cement. The gloves I have are the cheapest neosport 3mm gloves. They were quite chilly in high 30s, low 40s. I'm not expecting a miracle, but any improvement would be welcome.

Is there any downside to coating the entire inside or outside of the glove? difficulty of donning?
Ultimately this is just a stopgap to when I purchase si tech rings and dry gloves, but I don't want to trash my current seals or buy another set of rings that will be useless when I do replace the seals with quick change rings.

A good cold water glove is glued and blind stitched so it is inherently sealed. A a pinhole in cold water and it is profoundly apparent, Ditto for a cheapie look alike pair.

When I had damage I have used wetsuit cement and even slivers of neoprene as plugs.

Pete

Get a dry suit pee valve system and run the out tube under your wetsuit, out the wrists and into the gloves!

3mm in 30 F water is going to be cold no matter what you do... Either bite the bullet and go dry, or pick up some 5mm... I suggest the dry route...

That sounds interesting, but at least with my wet gloves (which I don't use that often) the water ends up coming in at the wrist rather than the seals. I think the seals must be more or less water tight. I have the Everflex 5 from scubapro. Are you sure water is coming in the seals? 3mm with water in the 30s can't be enjoyable.

High 30s, low 40s, and it wasn't too terrible. My longest dive was around 50minutes. My core was super warm though, so that helps.

I'm pretty sure it's around the stitching, as the wrist has velcro elastic straps that keep it pretty tight. It's definitely noticeably colder when I move my hands (not that I'm a sculler).

And I do plan on going dry gloves, but again I hate to trash seals which are near brand new, and I don't want to spend $100 on rings that will be useless once I do replace the seals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom