what drysuit would you buy and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I really want to get a drysuit but I don't know what to get. I will have a budget of about 3K but I don't want to spend it all if I don't have to. What brand would you suggest and why? Would you get one custom fitted or just buy off the shelf? I dive in northern California and I get cold.

I have been VERY happy with my Santi suits. They are well made, great seam work, terrific pockets, the T-Zip is excellent, etc..

Custom vs off the shelf probably depends on your body size and shape. I personally like shell suits, but some people prefer crushed neoprene (tradeoff of durability vs. weight/drying time).

Not sure what size you are, but if this fits you, you could save a few bucks: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-exposure-suits/468370-santi-e-motion-xxl-drysuit.html

Asking what dry suit to buy is kind of like asking, "What car should I own?" There are a whole bunch of possibilities, and what suits you will depend on what you need the car, or suit, to do.

If you are primarily diving the North Coast, I'd recommend going with a compressed or crushed neo suit (or a half-and-half like the DUI 50/50). You're diving very cold water and doing challenging entries where coming into unplanned contact with rough surfaces is a real possibility. If you aren't going to travel with it, the increased weight and slow drying of a compressed neo suit isn't an issue, but the increased insulation from the neoprene material is helpful. I don't know if Bare still makes their compressed neoprene suit, but my husband got years out of his CD2.

Yup, TSandM speaks the truth. My suit might be a bit light for an area where heavy contact is possible. But if you are buying it for travel to Florida... :)

I do travel to dive but only to San Diego. I think something that will fold and fit in a bag would be best so I can bring it on a plane with me. I need something that is durable and warm. I do like the idea of the faster drying time for cleaning and storing purposes. I was looking at the whites *Sport Diving - Dry Suit Packages - Whites Diving because the price seems good for everything you will get. I am getting into spearfishing so I need something that will work for that. I don't know what to post because I have never owned one before so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I really want to get a drysuit but I don't know what to get. I will have a budget of about 3K but I don't want to spend it all if I don't have to. What brand would you suggest and why? Would you get one custom fitted or just buy off the shelf? I dive in northern California and I get cold.

I've been very happy with my Bare Nex-Gen. It would not be suitable if you're planning on crawling through wrecks, but for 'plain-old' open water diving, it is light, drys rapidly and will only take about 1/3 of your budget. Fit is important and fortunately, off-the-rack suits seem to fit me well, YMMV and you should try before you buy.

Spend the rest of your $$ on dive trips

Thanks for the input. I will be at the shop trying a lot on over the next month for sure. If I can find one that will fit off the rack I will go that route due to cost.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2014 at 11:25 AM ----------

Also if I do travel to warm water would you use the drysuit or is that overkill?

The Fusion is a great dry suit if you intend to dive in a variety of water temperatures. I have the Sport skin on one of mine, and it is light and packs into a surprisingly small space. I put the user-replaceable seal system on it, so if I travel, I can replace a seal in the field and not lose more than one dive. The big downside of the Sport skin is not having pockets. I have the Tech skin on my other suit, which has pockets, although they aren't ideal ones. The Tech skin is heavier and takes longer to dry. I suppose it protects the suit a bit more, but the combination of the Sport skin and the inner bag is awfully hard to hurt. I didn't like the Bullet skin at all, because it was heavier, less flexible, and a PITA to deal with.

On the whites my understanding is that the only difference is the outer layer. Is that correct?

Correct, assuming you're only talking Fusion Sport, Tech, and Bullet. Fusion One and Essence have back zipper configurations. A local dive buddy has had both a One and the Sport and he likes the One better due to less bulk in the front due to the zipper. The shortfall is lack of quick change seal on the One's neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom