The last word in Knee patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My beloved 5mil is being torn up with teaching and Aquarium duty - both are heavy on the kneeling (don't start on the kneeling lecture).

I need something bullet proof and flexible to glue to my knees - ultra stretchy kevlar would be a god-send, but alas no gas.

Anyone got any suggestions with product links and glues to go with?

Thanks for any help.

Just a thought, but have you considered doing a standard patch job and then slipping on a pair of construction pads? They're basically hard plastic with elastic, not much to soak up water/dry out. Pretty much bullet proof and easily replaceable.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Just a thought, but have you considered doing a standard patch job and then slipping on a pair of construction pads? They're basically hard plastic with elastic, not much to soak up water/dry out. Pretty much bullet proof and easily replaceable.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Indeed I have, but that's a bit dorky, and I try hard to down play that trait in myself whenever possible....

You could use a product like Ever-Dip that was made for coating tool handles. Just paint it onto the areas you need protected. Also wear overalls that will protect every area of your suit.

You could use a product like Ever-Dip that was made for coating tool handles. Just paint it onto the areas you need protected. Also wear overalls that will protect every area of your suit.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit...:shakehead:

No sarcasm was intended, I do both.

Overalls or knee caps aren't gonna cut it with the Aquarium - its gotta be some kind of wetsuit armour to pass the "I'm not a diver, but as a supervisor I can't allow that" test. It has to look like it belongs on your wetsuit.....

I reinforced the knees of my drysuit with large tire patches called 'tire repair boots' that I found at the farm supply store. They are fabric reinforced rubber with a 'dish' shape. Glued them on a few years ago and it's been no worries since then.

Looks like this:

IMG_9864.JPG

DC

I reinforced the knees of my drysuit with large tire patches called 'tire repair boots' that I found at the farm supply store. They are fabric reinforced rubber with a 'dish' shape. Glued them on a few years ago and it's been no worries since then.

DC

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. These won't work on a wetsuit unfort as you need the patch to stretch, or it just over stresses the surrounding area and you get a rip around the patch. But, its good thinking and a def keeper for the future dry suit. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom