undergarment advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I live in Michigan and hate cool water!!!!!! What can you recommend for under wear. Would a 300g be just right?

Depends on your tolerance to cold, how long you're in the water and type of activity/physical exertion. I don't know your water temps but I dive in low 50s and for me 300 would not be enough. I currently use a 250 with 3 base layers and I'm cold. Just ordered a heated 400. I feel the cold.

I use Whites Thermal Fusion garment with a base layer and I'm good to the mid 40's for about an hour if I'm not moving a lot.
See if your local shop has some rental garments and try different systems. You may be fine in a 300 or it may take something like the Fourth Element 3D to keep you warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Me:
Xerotherm + Arctic during the Summer
Xerotherm + Halo 3D during the Winter

Fourth Element makes good stuff.

Layering seems to be the best approach for undergarments. I have a polartec 300g overall style pant set and a 300g polartec jacket. Those with a base compression layer and polartec stretchy long underwear keep my comfortable in the high 30s low 40s.

I then lose the overalls and the polartec long underwear layer on my top half and the jacket is fine for longer warm water dives.

I would start around 300g and be prepared to layer.

I'm interested in this thread, picked up a dry suit earlier in the year. I picked up some polypropylene from Sierra trading post. Looking for something a little heavier. I have heard of some wearing Lavacore under their suits. I've also looked at camaro titanium. Any others? How about 2mm neoprene under garments?

I have a DUI Polartec Powerstretch undergarment and layer it with Under Armor cold gear and I'm comfortable in the 30's.

One more thing what is the average length for a drysuit hose. I know people use all diff ones

One more thing what is the average length for a drysuit hose. I know people use all diff ones

I asked the same question when I was shopping for a hose and around 29" seemed most common. I use a 29". I'm a small guy and could probably go a little shorter. I route the hose under my left arm.

Last edited:
Like others said, I use the 4th Element. I have a Halo, Arctic, and Xerotherm. Depending on the season, depends on the undergarment or layers. My main choice is the Arctic for most of the year though. Early in the season, like now on Lake Michigan, It's the Halo...on deeper dives I add the Xerotherm to that or the Arctic (really restrictive combo though). You can't have 1 undergarment that does everything, so I think layering is the best option.

I would look at the Halo if it fits in the budget, or layer what you have with the Arctic. Santi makes a REALLY nice undergarment as well, but I really like the fit and comfort of the fleeces. They just mold to your body better for better mobility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom