Pinnacle wetsuit or other semi dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been looking at buying my own wet suit and wanted some feedback/ info. Noticed the Pinnacle brand of suits with the Marino wool. Looked around but found 1 posting on them here. Didn't find a review or info other than from the companies web site. Originally looked at Mares Isotherm semi dry. Will be doing most of my diving in Indiana so it needs to be warm. Also don't want to flush money down the :unitaz:
No I don't want to buy a dry suit(money)..... or a BP/W. :54:

I've got an Isotherm that I got off of ebay for $250. I'm in Minnesota - haven't been under the ice or in Superior with it yet, but some other people around here have, and claim that it's been enough to stay warm. Others say "that's nuts" and that you need a drysuit for those conditions. Chalk it up to personal differences I guess.

I've NEVER gotten cold in it with my local summer diving.

Seems like a great proven technology. Were can I find some prices on the internet. ?

crpntr133:
Been looking at buying my own wet suit and wanted some feedback/ info. Noticed the Pinnacle brand of suits with the Marino wool. Looked around but found 1 posting on them here. Didn't find a review or info other than from the companies web site. Originally looked at Mares Isotherm semi dry. Will be doing most of my diving in Indiana so it needs to be warm. Also don't want to flush money down the :unitaz:
No I don't want to buy a dry suit(money)..... or a BP/W. :54:

Once I was moving again I warmed right up. I think my major problem was the heat I was losing through the Boots and Gloves which I can likely remedy somewhat in the future.

All I can say is that the Merino wool lining is the real deal and if you have a good fit you will probably like this suit.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I'm in the market for a cold water wet suit and saw your comment above. I dove a borrowed Pinnacle 7mm suit in 60 degree water a couple of weeks ago and I was a bit cooler than your experience above. What kind of layering did you wear? I wonder if a shorty over the Pinnacle would be a good solution ? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

Just did my 4th dive on a Pinnacle Polar 7mm with integrated hood today. Stayed nice and warm in 48F water for around an hr. After an hr or so my feet started to get a tad bit chilly (7mm pinnacle merino lined boots). The Merino definately keeps me warm and I would feel comfortable diving it into the low 40's easily. I am a cold tolerant person though, so YMMV. I bought mine used off of pgdive here on the forum, and it is an excellent suit. I actually took the suit into my LDS to show them how great they are. Since my recommendations were so high they are going to look into stocking the suits for other cold water divers. I have no idea about the durability of these suits or how long they will last. From everything I see on them I don't see why it won't last the regular ammount of time of any other suit. Quality suit and I highly recommend them.

Matt

The Pinnacle suits are very well made; the company has been producing wetsuits in New Zealand for a number of years and recently came to the US market when they introduced the Merino wool lined suits.

We have sold the Artic (7mm jumpsuit) and the Polar (7mm w/ attached hood) for the past year and now we have the new 3mm merino lined Seal suits in the store. The customers that have bought them have been happy with them.

Currently the warmest suit that they make is the Polar which has the attached hood, with big gasket seals in the wrists and ankles and the merino lining.

They are introducing a new suit in the spring that will have a dry zipper across the chest as well as Kevlar on the knees and 8mm heavy duty neoprene in the torso. It is going to be a bit more pricey than the polar.

Paul

pgdive:
The Pinnacle suits are very well made; the company has been producing wetsuits in New Zealand for a number of years and recently came to the US market when they introduced the Merino wool lined suits.
Paul

Happy New Year!

Hope this feedback is of use.

Did 3 dives at Mermet Springs, IL on New Years day wearing the Pinnacle Polar I bought from Paul at pgdive. Worked great! Water temp was down to about 42deg at 76 feet. The only cold was in fingers and thumbs, during the 76ft dive. (Same for everyone, except those with dry gloves on their drysuits.)

After the dives the trapped water was still in the suit thanks to the internal cuff, ankle and neck seals and was very warm as I let it out!

I highly recommend the Polar for anyone wanting to dive cold water with a wetsuit.

Money well spent!

More feedback as I continue diving with the Polar through the winter.

Steve

Corigan:
Just did my 4th dive on a Pinnacle Polar 7mm with integrated hood today. Stayed nice and warm in 48F water for around an hr. After an hr or so my feet started to get a tad bit chilly (7mm pinnacle merino lined boots). The Merino definately keeps me warm and I would feel comfortable diving it into the low 40's easily. I am a cold tolerant person though, so YMMV. I bought mine used off of pgdive here on the forum, and it is an excellent suit. I actually took the suit into my LDS to show them how great they are. Since my recommendations were so high they are going to look into stocking the suits for other cold water divers. I have no idea about the durability of these suits or how long they will last. From everything I see on them I don't see why it won't last the regular ammount of time of any other suit. Quality suit and I highly recommend them.

Matt

Matt, what kind of layering have you used thus far with your Polar, especially in that 48 degree water? My question is whether layering helps or hurts when using the Pinnacle Polar? I've heard people mention that they felt warmer without layering because of the exothermic characteristics of the suit. Your thoughts?

thanks, Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom