Is there a way to make a wetsuit less buoyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebfh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an old wetsuit of mine that I have already replaced with a 3mm pinnacle tempo. It is a ripcurl dawn patrol 3/2 with flatlock stitching (if that helps at all) and I don't mind ruining the suit. I just need it to be less buoyant... for reasons (don't ask why.)

Cut big holes out of it?

Make it into a shortie? Cut the arms off and make it into a John? Shave a layer off the inside? :wink:

Very simple to do. Your wet suit is made of closed cell neoprene. The cells are sealed and full of air (generally). To make it less buoyant, simply puncture ALL of the cells!

A sharp needle and several weeks of effort should get you there.

ebfh,

Normally I assume you are seeking to wear less lead and overall be lighter on your feet. You may also want to enjoy diving with less buoyancy swing as you change depth.

Wetsuits, dry suits, your winter coat and home all basically keep you warm by trapping air or another gas as most gasses are pretty decent insulators. That being said, less gas, less warmth. As others have suggested the means of degassing the suit is to crush the bubbles. Neoprene foam is closed cell and will retain bubbles for along time if well cared for. However if you crush the material the gas will escape and the suit will become more neutral. Do you have access to a 20 ton hydraulic press?

Since you are already down to a 3/2 it's hard to suggest getting a better fit on a lighter suit. I have to assume you have something unconventional in mind so at your request I will not ask.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom