Tricks for getting 7MM OFF???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I dust off the 7MM (henderson gold core) maybe once a summer to play in the quarry. Otherwise its the 3mm for warm blue waters. Well we joined some others in a relatively local mud hole and it was kinda fun. So I might do a few more. The problem is, I cannot get the damn suit off! Killing myself to pull it off of my ankles. I have to resort to begging for assistance. Any tricks for making it easier? Has anyone added ankle zippers?
Thanks, Sore ankles in muddy waters :wink:

Plastic bags or shampoo as a lubricant.
I normally use plastic bags to get my 7mm off my feet. Foot in the bag. Tuck the bag under the suit around the ankle and then roll the suit off. It's like magic.

Double the thickness 14mm doesn't stretch as well as 7mm. By that I mean don't pull the suit all the way down trying to strip it off backwards. Instead pull it most the way down, then start creating some extra material around the ankles. From there you can work your fingers under the material, and pull it over your heal. You should be able to slid your foot out into the calf area of the suit, at which point it should come right off.

Or try the bag trick, which I have only ever heard for getting one on.

I find once you start rolling the suit off, it is much easier to wedge a finger between your heel and the suit to "pop" the seal over the end of your foot. The plastic bags work great, but I find them to be a bit of a hassle. Baby shampoo also works really well, especially for putting a damp suit on. Just dilute with water. Keep it handy and try aiming a few squirts down towards your trouble areas and it should slide off with (relative) ease.

I wear lyca boots and suit under my 7mm, the suit slides on and off nicely.

I wear lyca boots and suit under my 7mm, the suit slides on and off nicely.

You might look even sexier in pantyhose :wink:

Those two suggestions will definitely help get a suit on and off.

OOOW you're a charmer! :)

Interesting ideas, thanks! I had heard of the plastic bags for putting the suit on, didn't think of that for taking it off!!! Will have to try that! I do usually wear the lycra socks, but they don't really come up over my ankle so it doesn't help. Pantyhose does sound a bit kinky though :wink: Fishnets I assume?

Ok, so I dust off the 7MM (henderson gold core) maybe once a summer to play in the quarry. Otherwise its the 3mm for warm blue waters. Well we joined some others in a relatively local mud hole and it was kinda fun. So I might do a few more. The problem is, I cannot get the damn suit off! Killing myself to pull it off of my ankles. I have to resort to begging for assistance. Any tricks for making it easier? Has anyone added ankle zippers?
Thanks, Sore ankles in muddy waters :wink:

Not so fast, Mr. Chuckles. Pantyhose WORK. When I would dive wet in 5mm, I always had a pair of pantyhose in my bag. Then I substituted lycra tights because I could just keep using them without them falling apart. (Of course that's all in the past since I switched to a drysuit.)

Several years back I was on a liveaboard in the Red Sea. Hubby & I were diving dry, but we were the only ones onboard the charter, which was mostly populated by people from the UK. To make a long story short, one of the UK divers had such a hard time getting in/out of his wetsuit, that I dug out a pair of pantyhose & handed them to him to use. They worked like a charm. But of course to this day, he'll never admit he used them. :wink:

You don't need an bags, hosiery or other junk to get out of a wetsuit, you roll it off. Slip a shoulder out and pull the shoulder down off the arm, it will turn inside out as if falls from your arm. Repeat for the other arm. Now just guide the sleeves downward and it will roll right off your butt and down your legs to where you step out of the legs one at a time. I gets no easier.

Donning the bottom half is the direct inverse. How you do the sleeves is a toss-up where some suit snot especially if you are hot and sticky can help get your arms down the sleeves.

More here

Back
Top Bottom