In need of new 5mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all--

I'm looking for a new 5mm full body wetsuit since my shortie is totally worn out and my Jane's are a hassle to put on. Since I don't want to spend a ton of money (I would say about $250 at an absolute max) but I'd like to buy good quality, I'm not sure what brand to buy. I've heard very mixed reviews about Henderson and NeoSport, two of the brands I was considering.

Also if I'm 5'5/110 lbs would a size 4 be a good fit?

Thanks a mil!

I own Neosport, Cressi, and Henderson suits. Henderson is a quality suit with nice blind stitching and double-glued as well. Cressi and Neosport are lower end suits - they're less expensive and the stitching is not as good as Henderson's, but I wouldn't call them junk by any stretch. Cressis fit really well and tend to be a bit more stretchy than Neosports in my experience. I've heard good things of Pinnacle and Bare suits just to throw two more options in to make your purchase more confusing.

Fit is the most important point to look out for when choosing a dry suit. I recommend you go to a dive shop and try some suits on.

I have several X-Span wetsuits...love them. Great wetsuits that take a beating!

I like the Henderson H2 suits and wish they were still made. There are some really good deals on them out there, such as here.

I believe that you should a BARE 5mm a try. They make a great suit. I really love my Elastek!

I had been diving a BARE 3mm for several years, and even though the predominance of my diving is tropical, felt like I needed something just a little warmer, so I bought a BARE Velocity 5mm. I have been diving since the mid 80's, and have run the gamut from skin to shorty, to 1mm/2mm, and then to my 3mm, but the BARE Velocity, without question, is the most comfortable, best fitting exposure protection I have ever had. I think it is even easier to don than my 3mm.

If you have access to a store that carries BARE, try one on, you may wear it home.

Currently considering the NeoSport XSPAN, or a Scubapro Everflex if I can find one in my size that's a reasonable price. Thoughts on these two?

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

+1 for Henderson Thermoprene, best wetsuit ever, very comfortable and strechy

I had been diving a BARE 3mm for several years, and even though the predominance of my diving is tropical, felt like I needed something just a little warmer, so I bought a BARE Velocity 5mm. I have been diving since the mid 80's, and have run the gamut from skin to shorty, to 1mm/2mm, and then to my 3mm, but the BARE Velocity, without question, is the most comfortable, best fitting exposure protection I have ever had. I think it is even easier to don than my 3mm.

If you have access to a store that carries BARE, try one on, you may wear it home.

I would second the Bare brand. I have a full 5mm now for less than $200. I've had the 5/4 combination before which fit my arms and legs better but seemed to wear out faster.

Back
Top Bottom