Latex Seal Durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagrant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How long can I expect my latex drysuit seals to last? My neck and wrist seals are about a year old and are cracking already. The dive shop's attitude was something like "A year? Not bad, chump."

-Grant

Mine last a lot longer than that. I try to keep the suit sealed up and out of the air when not in use. I also regularly use a product called Seal Saver regularly.

Should last 100 dives or so. Talc powder helps by absorbing the oils. Washing them to remove the oils helps. Along with not getting sun block on them.

If you are getting a year out of them it might be a good idea to have the SI-Tech Nectite system installed so you can change them in the field. Dive Right In Scuba along with other repair facilities can help you out there if you want to DIY or have them do it.

Mine last a lot longer than that. I try to keep the suit sealed up and out of the air when not in use. I also regularly use a product called Seal Saver regularly.

I've had a couple of hundred dives on mine and have yet needed to change the seals. The suit is hung to dry and then packed away. Just as John does, I also use Seal Saver on a regular basis.

I've gone through 4 suits and hundreds of dives on each. I've gone through neck seals and lots of wrist seals, both latex and silicon. There are so many variables it's hard to estimate average life span. I would say I get about 100-150 dives on latex. I'm using silicon exclusively now to see if there is a distinct durability advantage. So far, no.

I just had the latex seals on my HOG suit replaced by Superior Dry Suit Repair right before Memorial Day. My old ones had nearly three years and 300 + dives on them. After every outing I wash the seals with mild dish soap, dry them, and then treat them with seal saver.

My GF has an Edge Suit and we just sent it in for new seals. Hers are showing some tiny cracks where the suit is glued to the seals. Even though she is more meticulous than I am when it comes to caring for gear. The ones on it are a little lighter duty from the factory than the ones on the HOG.

She has decided to go with silicone seals. I'm going to see how hers work and then maybe go that route the next time mine need new ones. BTW the ones I have on mine now are commercial grade and much thicker than even the factory ones. I expect a couple years out of them, unless I do something stupid, given the same care I used with my old ones.

The only downside is that once on they fit great but getting them on requires a bit of lube. Rite Aid brand KY is latex safe and leaves no residue as it's water soluble.

I just had the latex seals on my HOG suit replaced by Superior Dry Suit Repair right before Memorial Day. My old ones had nearly three years and 300 + dives on them. After every outing I wash the seals with mild dish soap, dry them, and then treat them with seal saver.

My GF has an Edge Suit and we just sent it in for new seals. Hers are showing some tiny cracks where the suit is glued to the seals. Even though she is more meticulous than I am when it comes to caring for gear. The ones on it are a little lighter duty from the factory than the ones on the HOG.

She has decided to go with silicone seals. I'm going to see how hers work and then maybe go that route the next time mine need new ones. BTW the ones I have on mine now are commercial grade and much thicker than even the factory ones. I expect a couple years out of them, unless I do something stupid, given the same care I used with my old ones.

The only downside is that once on they fit great but getting them on requires a bit of lube. Rite Aid brand KY is latex safe and leaves no residue as it's water soluble.

Jim, no funny looks at the dive site when you gear up? Lol.

I proudly display my drysuit donning aids! :D

When I did my Tech Instructor upgrades with Steve Lewis at Gilboa he had a gallon bottle of veterinary lube sitting on the tailgate or table.

It got referred to as Bovine Anal lube :shocked2: and was a source of great amusement. Put some of that into a glove and slide your hand in! Nice and squishy!:debby:

When I got mine I bought the large two pack economy size with a smile on my face. I wanted the checkout girl to say "have a great day!" to which I would have replied "Oh I will, believe me!"

Yup, been using KY (generic brand) for year now. I do get some funny comments but I don't care I just smile as my hands just slide through the seals.

I get six months (about 50 dives) off a neck seal. I get a couple of years off wrist seals, usually, although that may involve some Aquaseal and duct tape.

Back
Top Bottom