Want Camo Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRASH

Contributor
Reaction score
I want a digital camo wetsuit. I have seen them on Shark Week recently a few different times, but haven't been able to find much information on who makes them and where to get them. Somebody help me out. Thanks ahead of time.

Northeastscuba supply I think have some.

Last edited:
Cool...any idea who makes the ones they have? Went to their website and it's a bit difficult to navigate. Would like to view it on the manufacturers website for more detailed pics.

Riffs, spetton etc you mostly find camo on free diving suits. Different material (slightly) than typical scuba suits. Keeps you warmer but is less durable and doesn't seem to do so well staying at depth for long periods of time (scuba). But the range of motion is great. I can do things in my 2pc 7mm freediving suit that I can't in a5mm one piece scuba.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2014 at 02:16 PM ----------

Www.freediveshop.com

I want a digital camo wetsuit. I have seen them on Shark Week recently a few different times, but haven't been able to find much information on who makes them and where to get them. Somebody help me out. Thanks ahead of time.

We offer camo wetsuits as well.. 3 5 7 mm and they are all yamamoto rubber which is the best neoprene available..We sell direct, don't be surprised when you see our prices..

Wetsuits / Hoods / Gloves / Socks

M2YRC-2.jpg

M2BY-2.jpg

Thanks for all the responses and links. I'm working with Zeagle right now to see what Camo offerings they have for my Ranger LTD BC. Would ideally like to match the BC and wetsuit up.

Regarding the Camo wetsuits...like y'all mentioned they seem to be mainly spear fishing and free diving specific type suits. Phishphood, you mentioned they don't do as well at depth for scuba. Can you elaborate for a rookie like me?

What is meant by open cell?

Anymore advantages/disadvantages in getting a Camo wetsuit that wasn't designed for scuba?

The black digital Camo one in the link made by Spetton looks cool. I like the digital Camo look, but don't want to sacrifice look for quality and reputation. Anyone familiar with Spetton?

Mako....PM sent!

Aren't you going to feel silly when you are 'blown' off track and can't get back to the boat?

All the searchers looking and you are so well camouflaged . . . . :)

Thanks for all the responses and links. I'm working with Zeagle right now to see what Camo offerings they have for my Ranger LTD BC. Would ideally like to match the BC and wetsuit up.

Regarding the Camo wetsuits...like y'all mentioned they seem to be mainly spear fishing and free diving specific type suits. Phishphood, you mentioned they don't do as well at depth for scuba. Can you elaborate for a rookie like me?

What is meant by open cell?

Anymore advantages/disadvantages in getting a Camo wetsuit that wasn't designed for scuba?

The black digital Camo one in the link made by Spetton looks cool. I like the digital Camo look, but don't want to sacrifice look for quality and reputation. Anyone familiar with Spetton?

Mako....PM sent!

Thanks for the pm, I will try to answer your questions on this thread. Those are the best pictures we have of the camo, if you check out our facebook, you may see some suits in action.

As for a freediving suit..versus a "scuba" suit.

I will have to talk in generalizations, but here goes. We sell one piece back zip suits with nylon inside and out. Our newest version has not yet arrived. These suits are not particularly warm because they are essentially a scuba suit. The back zip suit is not water tight, and the nylon on both inside and out provides strength and abrasion resistance.

A suit for freedive spearfishing, will normally have a chest loading pad and knee pads.

Freedivers use no BC, so suit compression causes significant problems. We can not just press a button and fix it (like a scuba diver with a BC).

So freedivers weight themselves to float on the surface and they have to KICK to get down, neutral depth is 20 or 30 feet or deeper depending on maximum depth. Once a freediver exceeds the neutral depth the chest compression and suit compression begin to really kick in and we sink faster and faster. The more suit a freediver wears- the greater the suit compression buoyancy swing becomes. Having to kick your way to the surface when deep and heavy, is one of the things that makes freediving a real challenge..

It's taking a long time to get to the point, but a freediver wants to have the absolutely warmest suit possible with the LEAST amount of thickness - so that the buoyancy swing associated with suit compression is minimized. there is nothing we can do about chest compression.

So the warmest suit designs are going to have no zippers to leak water, they are going to have an attached hood to prevent ANY water from leaking around the neck, and the suit will NOT have nylon or lycra lining on the inside. Instead a smooth rubber interior is used. Most people refer to this as "open cell" neoprene, although it is somewhat of a misnomer, the use of this term is pretty much universal.

The smooth rubber on the inside seals up the suit against the skin. This prevents seepage into the suit and also drastically reduces any pumping of water through the suit (that does eventually leak in). The absence of the nylon lining also enhances the flexibility and comfort of the suit; freedivers must have the ability to expand their chest and breath easily after and before a dive.

So what are the disadvantages of this kind of smooth skin, two piece suit with an attached hood (and no zipper)??

As you can imagine zippers are added to wetsuits to aid in getting in and out easily. A freedive suit uses something else to make it easy to get in and out of the suit.. We use a lubricant. A very slippery, lubricant is applied to the inside of the suit and this allows the suit to slide on EXTREMELY easily. Freedivers do not wear dive skins or bulky bathing suits under their freedive suits because they need the skin to rubber interface to be lubricated.

We sell and recommend two different products for this application. However, some people use diluted baby shampoo and others use diluted hair conditioner. The necessity of a lubricant is somewhat of a drawback.

Removing of a wetsuit jacket with no zippers is not as easy as if it had a zipper. It can be done alone by using a special technique. However, the BEST method is to have your buddy help you for just a few seconds to pull it over your shoulders.

Another drawback of the open cell interior (smooth, unlined rubber) is that it can be cut by fingernails. The inside is somewhat delicate and extra care must be exercised when putting the suit on and taking it off. if you follow the proper guidelines for a suit lube and make sure your buddy grabs the suit as shown in this video, you should have no problems.

Freedive suits are extremely flexible, comfortable and warm. We use the best neoprene available, Yamamoto rubber. We use two different grades, 39 for our camo spearfishing suits and 45 for our competitive freedive suits. Yamamoto 45 is extremely soft and flexible, but is not as strong as the 39, so it is best used for divers who will not be contacting the bottom, fighting fish etc. The MAKO Speargun black freedive suits have no knee pads or chest pads because they are not needed for swimming up and down a line.

This video is one of myself diving to 147 using the black freedive suit.

[video=youtube_share;ci8sDIVcaRI]http://youtu.be/ci8sDIVcaRI[/video]

We have many customers who scuba dive (often to considerable depths) while using our camo freedive suits. This video shows you how to properly take the jacket off. The pants are turned inside out, like any other wetsuit.

[video=youtube_share;D30MesL5wcg]http://youtu.be/D30MesL5wcg[/video]

Dive SAFE!

Dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom