Fourth Element Proteus - hard to put on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h20_kat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to replace my wetsuit and considering the Proteus 5mm. I have read in a few places that it is hard to put on but no details. Does anyone have experience with this suit that can add to this? Is it because of the bib thing that you have to put over your head or is there another reason? I have dealt with the bib thing with a 3mm I owned and it was a bit of a hassle because I needed someone else to help me suit up. It's not a deal breaker though if the suit is otherwise easy to don and warm and comfortable. If I want the Proteus I have to order the suit and will only be able to try on one that belongs to someone and may be close to my size. So any other helpful info about this suit would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm looking to replace my wetsuit and considering the Proteus 5mm. I have read in a few places that it is hard to put on but no details. Does anyone have experience with this suit that can add to this? Is it because of the bib thing that you have to put over your head or is there another reason? I have dealt with the bib thing with a 3mm I owned and it was a bit of a hassle because I needed someone else to help me suit up. It's not a deal breaker though if the suit is otherwise easy to don and warm and comfortable. If I want the Proteus I have to order the suit and will only be able to try on one that belongs to someone and may be close to my size. So any other helpful info about this suit would be appreciated. Thanks

I own both the 3 and the 5 mil. I find neither of these suits particularly hard to put on as long as you do it one leg at a time. I have been very happy with both of mine. I have never needed anyone to help me suit up though. I just grab the bib pull it over my head and that is really all there is to it. I find that I prefer a dry suit over the 5 mil. If it's cold enough for a 5 mil it's cold enough to dive dry! (something to consider)
Good luck with your purchase!
Frank

I find all wetsuits can be difficult to put on. The Proteus is no exception. However, ever since I use a skin first, I slide ride in. Mind you, I am a girl and have never seen a guy wear a skin under his wetsuit. Another trick is to use a little baby shampoo and water. The Proteus is an excellent suit BTW.

I have the 5mm, and I don't think it's any harder than any other proper fitting suit. They all are a PITA to get on :wink:

I will say it is by far the warmest and most comfortable suit I have used. Not to mention, it comes in that seXXXY new color.....mmmmmmmmmm black :D

I own both the 3 and the 5 mil. I find neither of these suits particularly hard to put on as long as you do it one leg at a time. I have been very happy with both of mine. I have never needed anyone to help me suit up though. I just grab the bib pull it over my head and that is really all there is to it. I find that I prefer a dry suit over the 5 mil. If it's cold enough for a 5 mil it's cold enough to dive dry! (something to consider)
Good luck with your purchase!
Frank

Thanks for the tip on the legs. The suit I had previously with a bib had a tendency for the bib to get stuck inside and I couldn't reach to get it unstuck in order to be able to pull it over my head. It will be interesting to try the Proteus suit and see if I am able to do it myself. Glad to hear you have been happy with the Proteus suits you own. It is certainly a strong contender as I've heard how warm they are.

I'm buying the 5mm for my tropical trips where the water is 27-30 and most people wear a shortie. I have a low tolerance for cold, don't move much in the water and have a previous incident of DCI where cold was a contributing factor. In fact, my dive shop recommended either the Proteus 5mm or a Scubapro Everflex 7mm. I want to be warm, but I can't afford to add much weight or size to my baggage. I'm hoping a really warm, quality 5mm suit will do the trick.

I am with you on the drysuit idea. Anything 24 degrees or less out comes the drysuit!

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 11:58 AM ----------

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will go try on a sexy black Proteus suit this weekend and see how much of a struggle it is. :D

I've ordered the Proteus. I pretty much knew when I had it half on that it was going to be a great fit. What a comfy suit! It was surprisingly easy to put on as well, easier than my current suit.

I need to go dry since here in Oregon we dive 7-8mm wetsuits to stay warm. I have solafx 7-8 right now and the bib over I do not need help with but zip up I do.

The 3-5mm Proteus isn't that bad, but a tight-fitting 7mm one is such a pain to put on.

I've ordered the Proteus. I pretty much knew when I had it half on that it was going to be a great fit. What a comfy suit! It was surprisingly easy to put on as well, easier than my current suit.

Nice! I'm probably also getting one. I currently own a Mares 2nd Skin 6mm (which I am very happy with), but after an injury it has gotten too big for me.
I'd rather have a tight fitting 5mm than a loose fitting 6mm. Tried the Proteus 5mm on, and it felt awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom