Neck Seal - Neoprene vs. Latex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The latex neck seal on my dry suit was replaced back in November due to catastrophic failure. It's had about 70 or so dives on it since then and is already starting to look a bit weak. I've been diligent about caring for it and it HAS lasted longer than the last one!

The dry hood just failed as well and after a couple dives with a wet head, I decided I prefer dry. (BTW - since someone will inevitably ask - yes, I use a neoprene hood for insulation since the latex is useless for anything other than keeping the melon dry).

I've read several reviews from folks that seem to prefer the comfort and warmth of neoprene neck seals. I'm wondering - do they last longer than the latex ones?

Next question - does anyone know if an attached dry hood can be installed with a neoprene neck seal?

I find I prefer neoprene on my neck for the durability, and latex on my wrists for the fit. I've blown the latex wrist seals on my Viking, but haven't lost a neoprene seal yet. Have to say that the neoprene wrists on my new Bare XCD2 are much thicker than I have used before, and I have hopes that they will last longer. Perhaps you can look into thicker latex for your neck seal?

I was under the ice today in 35 degree water and the neck seal was quite warm and comfy. Haven't used a dry hood before. Do you wear the neoprene hood over top of the latex one?

The only problem with Neoprene is that they tend to leak. Plus, they are more expensive.

Snowbear:
The latex neck seal on my dry suit was replaced back in November due to catastrophic failure. It's had about 70 or so dives on it since then and is already starting to look a bit weak. I've been diligent about caring for it and it HAS lasted longer than the last one!

The dry hood just failed as well and after a couple dives with a wet head, I decided I prefer dry. (BTW - since someone will inevitably ask - yes, I use a neoprene hood for insulation since the latex is useless for anything other than keeping the melon dry).

I've read several reviews from folks that seem to prefer the comfort and warmth of neoprene neck seals. I'm wondering - do they last longer than the latex ones?

Next question - does anyone know if an attached dry hood can be installed with a neoprene neck seal?

Snowbear:
Yup

Dry Diver - the price is pretty close either way.

Isn't that a b**ch to get on and off?

Dry Diver, I haven't had any problem with my neoprene neck seal leaking. I will admit though that I have a fairly long neck, so a lot of length to seal against.

Snowbear:
No, actually it's not, especially for the 2nd or 3rd dive when it's already wet - slides right over that latex easier than over my hair...

I'll have to look into that. Been letting my hair grow since I said good-bye to the Queen, and I darn near lost half my scalp today getting my drysuit neck seal off. Be nice to find a better answer than swearing and pulling. :D

Every time I use a neoprene neck seal I get wet. I like latex seals much better.

LUBOLD8431:
Every time I use a neoprene neck seal I get wet. I like latex seals much better.

Of course you get wet. Look at yourself, you're built like a moose. It's the antlers, I'm sure of it. :)

Well, I am built like a moose, but thats another story!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom