Cheap wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wai

Registered
Reaction score
So I've caught the diving bug, and I'm currently undertaking the task of buying my own gear, I had a few questions about wetsuits. I live in Taiwan and the water is generally fairly warm here so I'm not necessarily too worried about getting something that is going to really keep me warm, as much as something that's going to protect me from jellyfish/other scraps and stings, and give me a bit of warmth if/when I go a little deeper. With this in mind is there any reason why I can't just pick up the cheapest no-brand 3mm wetsuit can find, or are there real drawbacks to buying cheap that I haven't taken into account? I was also considering getting a pants and jacket combo so that when I travel I can just pack the jacket. Apart from the higher heat loss, are there any other downsides to this? Thanks :)

I see no problem with going cheap, especially in your situation. Bear in mind though that like anything cheaper may not be better. More frequent replacement costs, comfort, quality of materials, and ease of donning are factors to consider here. Personally I go cheap and robust but for the reason that I work on a dive boat, log 150+ dives per season and have to replace my suits each season no matter what the price or quality. As far as buying a 2 piece suit for travel, I would shy away from that. Most dive destinations have rental suits that are suited for the destination and climate.

Even in tropical water I wear at least a 3/2mm to avoid stingers so it makes sense to me. Doesn't have to be the highest quality wetsuit either.

Just keep in mind that sometimes, but not always, quality is related to price. I have a 3mil shorty I picked up for pool use and the stitching is coming apart after 1 year. Then again I machine wash it after every use and at $30 its pretty much disposable.

Many quality scuba gears are made in Taiwan and you should be able to get most stuff at a fraction of the price they are selling in the UK or US. This is of course without the brand name.

I have Neosport farmer john suit cost me $130 still works great. Suit its going on 6 years now still strong

I have been amazed at how good even "cheap" wetsuits can be. And while there is probably some general correlation between price and desirable characteristics like durability, insulating ability, flexibility, etc., there are no doubt exceptions and tradeoffs. For example, I recently was shopping for a vest to wear under my full suit. The more expensive Henderson Thermoprene vest was clearly less comfortable than a less expensive Neosport made of their "XSpan" material. It's possible that the more expensive vest had slightly better insulating properties even though they were the same thickness, but I will never know--comfort was my primary criterion in this case. I am very happy with my choice of the cheaper vest in this instance.

Many quality scuba gears are made in Taiwan and you should be able to get most stuff at a fraction of the price they are selling in the UK or US. This is of course without the brand name.

That is not necessarily the case. I spent sometime in Taipei 2 years ago. I was expecting to go on a shopping spree for relatively cheap dive stuff and some tools which I know were made in Taiwan. It turns out that you cannot easily get "for export" gear in small/retail quantities and it would end up costing more. The dive shops sell standard western gear and some japanese brands that are not familiar.

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

You need to look at the right shops.

That is not necessarily the case. I spent sometime in Taipei 2 years ago. I was expecting to go on a shopping spree for relatively cheap dive stuff and some tools which I know were made in Taiwan. It turns out that you cannot easily get "for export" gear in small/retail quantities and it would end up costing more. The dive shops sell standard western gear and some japanese brands that are not familiar.

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

Back
Top Bottom