Usia drysuit techniflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sprice37

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have had little to no luck finding info as to zipper choice. I can choose front wrap, front diagonal, or rear. I plan to order my suit in a month. My question is to the pros and cons of the types of zipper choice. Obviously the rear is not self donning, and the front wrap just looks kinda funky whereas the front diagonal looks bat**** cool. I am mor worried as to the difference as do don doff between the diagonal and the front wrap. Any help,or flaming is appreciated.

Give us a shout. we'll see what we can do for you. 815 267 8400

They usually can help with just info as well. Great customer service if you happen to order anything from then at a later date.

Personally I like back zips and with about a 8 inch leash find that I can self don no problem.

I prefer front diagonals, easier in sidemount than the front wraps that I've tried but that's just me. It's personal preference you really need to try them on. You should call DRiS you might be surprised as to what they can do for you if you order through them, they sell a LOT of USIA suits...

I have the HOG suit made by USIA with the diagonal front zip. It works fine, but you should be a little careful when suiting up or have the suit half on. When the zipper is open it is very easy to stress it where it seals at the waist. There is a little piece of reinforcement material that tries to keep this from happening. But it only took a few years before mine started leaking. I am a bit more careful now.

I also had to send the suit back for warranty repair for the seals on the boots. That's when they found that the zipper was starting to leak. It took around 2 months or so to get my suit back. I think I remember them saying that they did not have a dedicated repair department personnel, so they got to them when they could. They also messed up the material around the outer zipper. I decided it was not worth another 2 months without my suit and figured I would just live with it. But it is a good first dry suit for me.

The Diagonal is preferred for most. The front wrap is unique, and gives you a lower profile on the suit. It's just a funky design and some people shy away from it because of more work (donning/doffing) and the look. Functionally, there is nothing wrong with it though. The standard diagonal is simpler though. In terms of best fit:

-Wrap gives the best because you are wrapping everything tight on you. You do have more material though, and more spaces for air to get trapped
- Back entry- since you climb into it there is less material so you don't have a ton of extra in the front, but you do have to have someone zip you up
- Front Diagonal entry- most preferred because you can don/doff yourself, but you have more material in the suit, mainly the torso/chest area which allows you to maneuver in and out of the suit. Typically, they add a crotch strap and telescoping torso to help hide that extra material.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

I have the HOG suit made by USIA with the diagonal front zip. It works fine, but you should be a little careful when suiting up or have the suit half on. When the zipper is open it is very easy to stress it where it seals at the waist. There is a little piece of reinforcement material that tries to keep this from happening. But it only took a few years before mine started leaking. I am a bit more careful now.

I also had to send the suit back for warranty repair for the seals on the boots. That's when they found that the zipper was starting to leak. It took around 2 months or so to get my suit back. I think I remember them saying that they did not have a dedicated repair department personnel, so they got to them when they could. They also messed up the material around the outer zipper. I decided it was not worth another 2 months without my suit and figured I would just live with it. But it is a good first dry suit for me.

Did you get it from us? If so, send it back and we will fix it under the manufacturers warranty. They did have a dedicated repair guy, Jerry, who left...but they make the suits in house, a repair like that isn't an issue for them. I guess with Jerry gone, they didn't focus on the repairs, which isn't good.

Unfortunately I did not buy it through DRIS. I was dealing directly with the HOG/Edge guys and I hope I don't have to go through that again either.

Unfortunately I did not buy it through DRIS. I was dealing directly with the HOG/Edge guys and I hope I don't have to go through that again either.

Is it just the stitching on the zipper now? Let me know, you can email me at mike@diverightinscuba.com Depending on what it is, I can get it done here for you under warranty. Just let me know...we have a 7-10 day turn around right now, so it will be quick, and hopefully free :wink:

With the customer service I see from dris I might just have to order for you.m I think I will have to go the least expensive route for now which means experience for a later large purchase. What can we do for the $800 price point?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom