Cutting DUI drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all.

I have been a wetsuit diver up to now but will start diving a DUI TLS 350 soon.

My question is in regard to others experience in cutting standard latex seals on a DUI suit.

My neck is 16.5". My wrists are 7.25 on the elbow side of my wrist bone and 7.5 on the hand side of the wrist bone.

I would really like to get the cut right the first time, but I do want to get it right and if multiple trys are required, so be it.

The DUI guide shows: Latex Seals For Drysuits and Trimming Guide - DUI Online - drysuits

I am not so sure if I should use the numbers here as the starting point as they recommend, or one line smaller.

I am interested in feedback from others on what your experience has been to get this right.

Your seals need to be as tight as you can stand them to be.

Don't go by measurement -- unless it's to get yourself in the ballpark, and then err on the tight side -- go by feel. Trim them a tiny bit at a time, but only if they are cutting off your circulation or causing serious discomfort.

If possible, dive with them first (in a pool is fine) to double check before trimming further. Often an uncomfortable fit on the surface feels just fine in the water.

Definitely go a bit at a time. Purple skin is a good indicator that the seal is too tight.

For trimming, use a brand new razor and something underneath to support and stretch the seal (3" pvc pipe comes to mind). Make sure whatever you use is clean. Once you put the razor on the seal, don't lift it until you make it back to your starting point. This should give you a nice clean cut.

I appreciate the advice! Keep it coming.

I was thinking I would use some new sissors, but I do like the idea of it stretched over something and using a razor blade.

I think that may be hard though to follow the advice of never lifting the blade once you start the cut. It all sounds like good advice but you have to consider that you are not just manipulating the seal, but you have the entire suit will need to be turned as the cut is made. Maybe recruit some help to turn the suit as I cut...

I just measured the oatmeal container and it is just under 16", that might work well for the neck.

New, sharp scissors have worked pretty well for me. (Silicone seals.) Whatever you use, most important is not to leave any jaggies when you trim. These will become points of failure.

When using a razor, I use a stool as a workspace, and walk around the suit. Having a partner will certainly help regardless.

Use a sharp scissor, and make as clean a cut as possible.. never close the scissor all the way during the cuting, or it might leave a jagged edge...
And it seems latex stretches abit over X number of dives, so i recommend having the seal abit more tight than loose on new seals :)

Should the ridge on the seal be cut out or stay on the seal?

In my experience it doesn't really matter, but I usually cut the ridge off.

Did you buy the suit (or have the seals installed) from a local dealer? If so... have THEM trim the seals. If they screw it up, they replace the seals. If you screw it up, you PAY them to replace the seals.

Regards,

Ray Purkis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom