What is the best way to increase thermal protection of a semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawlu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Without making the leap to a dry suit, what is the best way to add a little extra thermal protection to a semi-dry. I currently have a hooded Henderson semi-dry, I do not own any rash guards or outer layer vests. I would like some advise and suggestions on how to further insulate even if by a 5 to 10% margin the core body area. Oh I cannot afford any of the fancy heated vests, so we need to keep this simple and practical.

Thank you.

that's unfortunately you're only real option at this point. I'm always surprised how many divers up north are pushed to semi drys and thick wetsuits instead of drysuits. They really aren't that much more expensive, but man are they much nicer.

Your only real course of action is to buy something to go over it, which is painfully difficult, or you might find luck with the 4th Element Thermocline vest if it will fit under your suit. It should as it's pretty thin, but depends on how snug that suit is for you.

Something like Lavacore would be a noticeable improvement. Expensive, but an improvement. Drysuits (even cheap ones like the Scubapro Everdry 4) would be noticeably more comfortable in cold water.

Without making the leap to a dry suit, what is the best way to add a little extra thermal protection to a semi-dry. I currently have a hooded Henderson semi-dry, I do not own any rash guards or outer layer vests. I would like some advise and suggestions on how to further insulate even if by a 5 to 10% margin the core body area. Oh I cannot afford any of the fancy heated vests, so we need to keep this simple and practical.

Thank you.

My wife uses a thermalution Heated vest...Thermalution Heated Undersuit -70M (Shortsleeve)
While she and I both have DUI TLS 350 Drysuits, we hate the enormous drag of drysuits.....and the heated undergarment keeps her toasty warm in winter.....The Aqualung Semi dry suits are very slick / low drag to cruise over a reef in, and the combo is very warm.

In case you missed it, I H.A.T.E. Drysuits!!!! They are for divers that don't think divers are supposed to swim more than short distances--i.e., diver that don't care about drag....Do you want to move through the water like a blown up Pufferfish, or like a Barracuda ....:)

What water did you test these DUI 350's in? Looks interesting although out of my price range right now.

What water did you test these DUI 350's in? Looks interesting although out of my price range right now.
Sandra and I are Florida divers, so it is rare for us to be in water cooler than 50 degrees. With the DUI's though, if it was 33 degrees, we would just increase the thermal value of the undergarments, and potentially add the Thermalution vest made for Drysuits or wetsuits with a wireless heating controller to adjust temperature. Unfortunately the Heated vest Sandra has right now, is only to be used for wetsuits..but now they have some models good for both wet and dry.

If I was diving 32-45 degree water, I'd be a Drysuit diver, with a scooter, and I would resign myself to the motion potentials this world would afford me.
For 50's and warmer, the Aqualung semi dry and the heated vests would be my path.

Thanks for the tips...

If you have room for a 3 mm shorty or vest under the suit.. then try that. I found that wearing another thin hood may help, you can cut the collar away so head mobility is unaffected. Also wool socks under you dive boots makes a big difference (if your fins will still fit). Those chemical heat packs are cheap and work pretty well for one dive, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom