Need help with Gloves - Cold Water Quarry Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a pair of Cressi 7mm gloves. I cannot stand diving with them. They dont filt well and I feel they compromise too much dexterity. I get it that thick gloves will by nature do that but I am looking for suggestions on a better pair of gloves that will provide improved dexterity. I am considering even dropping to a 5mm glove as I would rather be a little chilled then give up range of ability to perform tasks. Any suggestions? The water I dive is in the high 40's and mid 50;s range at depth. Can this be done with 5mm? what gloves would you recoment that accomplish my main goal of increased dexterity while being sufficient with respect to warmth?

Thanks

I used to dive a local cave that is in the low 40's with 5mm gloves and I was good for an hour.
Whites Heat, Henderson Aqualock, or any wet glove with the sealed seams tend to be warmer.
You could also look at a product like Nordic Blue dry gloves that have a wrist seal. You would get a bit of squeeze not being to add air to them though if diving a wetsuit.
Nordic Blue, Whites, DUI, OS Systems all have something in those lines. Dive Right In Scuba has a prodcut that they make in house.
Gamble Scuba and US Water Rescue carry Nordic Blue in limited sizes.

I have a pair of Pinnacle Merino lined and a pair of ScubaPro Everflex. Like them both at the temps you mentioned. (5mm)

I have a pair of these that I don't use, brand new, never used, size XL:

SCUBAPRO - EASY-DON

They are great, but I bought them before realizing that I can't really use them with my dry suit because of the rings on the sleeves. If you are diving wet, or have a dry suit with wrist seals attached directly to the suit, they are great.

Interested?

If you wear them with a wetsuit how do you eliminate squeeze?

I haven't worn the scuba pros, but I frequently dive with dry gloves on my dry suit without using a straw to break the wrist seal like some people do. Never had a problem with squeeze down to around 100 feet, they are very comfortable with good dexterity. I have heard that this is mainly an issue for very deep diving.

I guess there must be enough air in them to start with then. It's not like you try to get the excess air out of them before descending like you do the DS, huh? I would have thought you'd feel some squeeze by 100 ft though.

I use XS Scuba Dry Five Gloves. 5 mm neoprene and sealed. 38-40 degree water for an hour is no big deal. Even when they compress at depth the lack of water movement means my hands still stay warm. That is critical after nearly 20 years as a butcher with a few in a slaughterhouse I have early arthritis in my hands and the cold really plays hell with them. I used Pinnacle Merino 5 mils and they are ok, Have a pair of 4th element as well but they are not as warm and the XS and harder to put on.

I use XS Scuba Dry Five Gloves. 5 mm neoprene and sealed. 38-40 degree water for an hour is no big deal. Even when they compress at depth the lack of water movement means my hands still stay warm. That is critical after nearly 20 years as a butcher with a few in a slaughterhouse I have early arthritis in my hands and the cold really plays hell with them. I used Pinnacle Merino 5 mils and they are ok, Have a pair of 4th element as well but they are not as warm and the XS and harder to put on.

My wife uses the Dry Five as well and is very happy with them.

My cold diving is in Tobermory. The WaterProof are fairly warm, and easy to put on. As Jim said, the 4th Elements are good but an enormous PITA to put on for a second dive (I actually was bringing two pair for a two tank dive)...

Really want to try a pair of Dry-5's....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom