Good Hard Sole Boot???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all, I'm looking for a good hard sole boot. I been wearing these DeepSea ones for years and they are literally falling apart. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if I should go with the same ones I've been using. I am using the Hollis F1 Fins.

If you get more than a dive season out of a pair of boots,. I'd like to know what kind they are.... I can't get a zipper to last longer than about 200 dives...

I have a seen a couple other, similar discussion on SB. Many people go with the SeaSoft boots. They come in 3 and 5 mm and both have great sneaker-like soles. I use them with both the Hollis F1 & F2 fins.

Frank, that's why I like the sock+overboot. The boots are laced and last forever, and the socks last as long as you take care of them. I never had good luck with zippers so went away from them years ago. The other really nice thing is that with the socks you can use one set of fins for wet or dry because you have the same overboot for both.

Frank, that's why I like the sock+overboot. The boots are laced and last forever, and the socks last as long as you take care of them. I never had good luck with zippers so went away from them years ago. The other really nice thing is that with the socks you can use one set of fins for wet or dry because you have the same overboot for both.

Dunno, I'm a 13, so I can barely get my rock boots into my XXL Plana Avantis. I have to really think about wearing a drysuit. I wear size 13 O'Neill hard sole, but I can't get the zippers to last a year. I will buy a pair of Chucks and give them a try. I'll be stylin' too.

good info, thanks guys... yea my neoprene boots have no more neoprene lol and theres multiple holes among other things. Been rocking these for 2 years now I think I could use something a bit sturdier. but the zippers still work!!! Sorta lol

If you get more than a dive season out of a pair of boots,. I'd like to know what kind they are.... I can't get a zipper to last longer than about 200 dives...

Boots are surprisingly frustrating for me. Of all the gear, their fit is most important and generally has the least amount of options. After finally finding a boot that fits my foot, and my fin, then getting them good and broken in, the zipper gives out.

I only want three things:
- The boot must fit my foot
- The boot must fit into the fin and not be so loose it wobbles or so tight it cuts off circulation
- The boot must have a hard top so the fin doesn't cut into the neoprene, which will trash a pair of boots as quickly as a zipper

Unfortunately, I have to go thru this exercise every other year and it drives my wife crazy as we go from shop to shop trying on boots. I must be the only one that brings fins into the shop to try on boots because I get some looks, some think I'm nuts, others wishing they had thought of that. On my most recent go round, I solved the problem by buying a new set of jets to fit the boots that fit my foot. (The pocket is different on the newer jets.) It was time for new fins anyway, but it shouldn't be necessary to resort to that. Hopefully, with the new fins I won't have this problem again next year. But, I just sent my dry suit out to be rebooted, among other things, so my fingers are crossed that I don't need yet another pair of fins.

They are discontinued, but I love the Mares Flexa 6.5. You can still get a pair if you look around a bit.

Back
Top Bottom