Justifying a dry suit or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many dives a month do you need to do to justify a dry suit? I am really thinking about one but the price tag has me thinking about not doing it. I know the pros of it and they sound great but I can get a lot of wet suits for the price of the dry suit I am looking at. I dive in a wet suit now and I am warm but I like the idea of being dry. Is it worth dropping that money on a dry suit if I only dive once a month or sometimes once every other month? any input from owners that don't dive a lot would really be great.

How many dives a month do you need to do to justify a dry suit? I am really thinking about one but the price tag has me thinking about not doing it. I know the pros of it and they sound great but I can get a lot of wet suits for the price of the dry suit I am looking at. I dive in a wet suit now and I am warm but I like the idea of being dry. Is it worth dropping that money on a dry suit if I only dive once a month or sometimes once every other month? any input from owners that don't dive a lot would really be great.

Craigslist can be your friend, particularly if you come close to a stock size.

What size are you poomero and what type of suit are you looking for?

I know the pros of it and they sound great but I can get a lot of wet suits for the price of the dry suit I am looking at.

Disclaimer: I don't use a dry suit. I was just stuck by a logical issue with this point; no matter how many wet suits you could buy for the price of the dry suit, you will only wear one suit at any given time when you dive. So while the cost vs. benefit question is valid, the issue of how many wet suits you can get with that money doesn't matter, unless you are assuming the dry suit will wear out, and thus the wet suits would give you much longer service. Otherwise, the issue is whether one dry suit will give you worthwhile advantage over the one wet suit you'd be wearing on your dives.

So, some questions to maybe help the dry suit divers help you.

1.) If you had the dry suit, would you just be doing the same dives, or would you be doing some dives you wouldn't otherwise do (e.g.: winter, colder locations, etc...)?

2.) Is being dry just a novelty you're curious about, or does it offer you a practical benefit?

3.) You said you know the pro.s, but have you trained to use and rented one to try out a few dives in? If you're on the fence with 'head knowledge,' perhaps diving one a few times would provide the swing vote?

Richard.

I dive every one to two weeks. I don't like being cold, so dive in a drysuit. It wouldn't matter if I was diving once a year, if I'm not enjoying it (through being too cold) then what's the point? If you are warm enough in a wetsuit, then I wonder why you are interested in diving dry? There are other reasons, but not sure if they apply to you. So, you just fancy it? Nothing wrong with that, but only you and your bank balance can answer your own question.

I usually dive once to three times a month or every other month. Normally closer to once...:D I dive a White's Fusion Bullet and I would not go back to a wet suit for Pacific Northwest diving. I dive it summer and winter just changing what I wear for undergarments. Is it worth it to me? YES!!! Worth is subjective though, you might try it and hate it. I find that hard to see happening but it is possible.

Another thing to add to Richards post is location. Where is Marin County? Water temp and air temp can make a difference as well. In the summer time I have to get in my suit close it up and then dunk myself to keep cool but I love my dry suit so I will deal with that part. Water temps here usually range from the 36° F to 57° F, winter/summer.

Is it possible you would dive more often, if it were more comfortable to do so?

Dry suits don't have to break the bank. Some are quite affordable, and others can be purchased used for pennies on the dollar, if you are willing either to invest a bit more in repairs, or are handy with DIY procedures.

What size are you poomero and what type of suit are you looking for?
I am not 100% sure on this. I am going to go get measured tomorrow. I am 5 10 and 230 so I think xl or xxl

Disclaimer: I don't use a dry suit. I was just stuck by a logical issue with this point; no matter how many wet suits you could buy for the price of the dry suit, you will only wear one suit at any given time when you dive. So while the cost vs. benefit question is valid, the issue of how many wet suits you can get with that money doesn't matter, unless you are assuming the dry suit will wear out, and thus the wet suits would give you much longer service. Otherwise, the issue is whether one dry suit will give you worthwhile advantage over the one wet suit you'd be wearing on your dives.

So, some questions to maybe help the dry suit divers help you.

1.) If you had the dry suit, would you just be doing the same dives, or would you be doing some dives you wouldn't otherwise do (e.g.: winter, colder locations, etc...)?

2.) Is being dry just a novelty you're curious about, or does it offer you a practical benefit?

3.) You said you know the pro.s, but have you trained to use and rented one to try out a few dives in? If you're on the fence with 'head knowledge,' perhaps diving one a few times would provide the swing vote?

Richard.

If I had a dry suit I would do the same dives yes. I might dive more often though because I would be warm. hahaha. I am warm in a wetsuit but getting back in the water after the first dive is hard sometime.
I usually dive once to three times a month or every other month. Normally closer to once...:D I dive a White's Fusion Bullet and I would not go back to a wet suit for Pacific Northwest diving. I dive it summer and winter just changing what I wear for undergarments. Is it worth it to me? YES!!! Worth is subjective though, you might try it and hate it. I find that hard to see happening but it is possible.

Another thing to add to Richards post is location. Where is Marin County? Water temp and air temp can make a difference as well. In the summer time I have to get in my suit close it up and then dunk myself to keep cool but I love my dry suit so I will deal with that part. Water temps here usually range from the 36° F to 57° F, winter/summer.

Marin County is in San Francisco area. Water is about 50ish when I dive. I do dive year round.

I am going to try and rent one or two over thanksgiving and give them a try. I am thinking about a whites fusion or a dui tls350

Are you diving Monterey? I've never understood why, but most dive wet there. I dive dry in our waters. I think your last sentence is what tipped me over the fence and into diving dry. The first dive was ok, but after that first one, I was reluctant to go back in. And it's no easy feat getting out for a day of diving. Being able zip up and comfortably get right back in...priceless to me. With proper care and maintenance, the dry suit should last theoretically forever. One thing I wish I had done differently: I bought stock size as I was "close enough". At the price point of most dry suits (high) it's not that much more (percentage wise) to customize and eliminate any extra baggy fabric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend the TLS350 just because it's not a good value for the money and you're better off in a crushed neoprene suit, Pinnacle Black Ice etc. for that type of diving, less underwear=less lead.

The big thing for a drysuit is that you can use it in varying water temperatures by changing your undergarments where you would need 3 or more different wetsuits to do the same work. With a drysuit you are more protected from evaporative cooling effects, and you are dry, so that helps.... Well worth the money

Back
Top Bottom