Retrofitting ring system to an older Whites Fusion

What ring system should I put on my suit?

• SiTech Oval rings

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • SiTech Round rings

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No permanent rings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop DIW and buy the Kubi system

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkiteuthis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As of last night, I am the proud owner of a used Whites Fusion Bullet sans permanent ring system. Since the suit needs new seals anyway, I'm going to go ahead and install (or get installed) the SiTech permanent rings, as I've seen them save a couple of dives first-hand.

1) Should I get round or oval rings? I'm leaning towards the oval rings.
2) Which dry gloves and liners? I was thinking I would get two pairs of the cheap PVC gloves from DRIS and then splurge a little on the liners.

I dive big steel tanks (pumped LP125s) and have a SAC of about 0.5, so I do some fairly long dives when I dive with my tec buddies. Even more so when I double them up later next year. My 6.5mm Henderson Gold Core gloves do alright when I'm diving with other folks and have to turn on others' air, but when I'm in ~50F water for an hour plus, my hands start to get a bit cold when diving wet.

Have you looked at KUBI?

I've seen many people have issues with any dry glove system but these.

Metal, no locks, no taping, no plastic, no breaking, no .....

It's easiest to get them from the UTD online store, and they come in 3 sizes 80mm/90mm/100mm (S/M/L)

I have them on my whites fusion (installs over the seal), you can take the whole system off if you like (say spending a length of time not needing gloves).

I've only seen (or heard of 1 failure), which was the glove got sliced going down a line. Would have happened to any glove ....

BRad

I have looked at KUBI, and I do really like that they are metal...

I think I want the permanent ring and neck seal system on my suit, though - first, so that I can use the silicone seals, and second, so that I can change my own seals. As I said, I've seen multiple dives saved by the permanent ring system.

On the other hand, you would have to completely destroy your wrist seal before the KUBI rings wouldn't work anymore, it seems like (from watching the videos) that a torn seal would be manageable as long as it wasn't the whole length of the seal.

On the other other hand, the Antares gloves still give you a seal under the glove, so if the glove fails you still have a dry suit.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2014 at 04:57 PM ----------

I know I could probably install the permanent rings and still use the KUBIs, but that seems like it would start to get bulky and a bit expensive.

I have the round SiTech's on mine - never dived anything else, so nothing to really compare to. They're bulky, which means that sometimes I need a hand getting my arm out of my harness when on the surface. Adding the Glove Lock system was easy, once I finally found the trick to popping out the retaining ring. I did a dive with someone who was trying the oval rings for the first time (with dry gloves) and he was having a heck of a time with them it seemed.

... the other hand, you would have to completely destroy your wrist seal before the KUBI rings wouldn't work anymore, it seems like (from watching the videos) that a torn seal would be manageable as long as it wasn't the whole length of the seal. On the other other hand, the Antares gloves still give you a seal under the glove, so if the glove fails you still have a dry suit. ---------- Post added November 23rd, 2014 at 04:57 PM ---------- I know I could probably install the permanent rings and still use the KUBIs, but that seems like it would start to get bulky and a bit expensive.

With the KUBI, it's like every other glove system, in that the wrist seal still works as a seal (until you do something like have undergarment or tubes for equalizing the glove.

You could cut the hand side of the wrist seal in any number of ways with the KUBI (well, not that the KUBI will cut the wrist seal in any number of ways that is) and still be dry (provided you have a glove on of course).

Another plus before I get off my soapbox, is the KUBI will stay with you for your diving career, whereas you'd have to either change systems on future drysuits or order them with the same system.

BRad

With the KUBI, it's like every other glove system, in that the wrist seal still works as a seal (until you do something like have undergarment or tubes for equalizing the glove.

You're right, I had a brain fart. There are some really good instructions for the KUBIs here.

You make a good point about carrying the KUBI system from suit to suit.

I'm diving the round rings on a Fusion Tech and have swapped two wrist seals so far, and both about a 5 minute job max. I find that they are a little bulky and with a BP/W with a single piece harness, sometimes they will hang on the harness while getting into the rig - never had problems getting them off.

For gloves, I find that the long gauntlet gloves (Gummifabrikken 5 Finger Rubber Gloves Long | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba) from DRIS seem to work very well and hold up well for out local Pacific NW diving. I've been hesitant to go the snap-in gloves as the gauntlet pull-overs are just way too simple and work well (never had a leak).

For liners, I've used a rag wool glove with a thinsulate liner from REI, which has pretty much been the best liner I've found.

I did a dive with someone who was trying the oval rings for the first time (with dry gloves) and he was having a heck of a time with them it seemed.

I've heard some reports of folks struggling with the oval rings, and others say that the included lube makes installing the gloves really easy once you get used to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom