Help with drysuit purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AumakuaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all, I am new dry suits so I did a dry suit class out here in California and have decided to buy a dry suit. I'm reasonably sold on a whites fusion one as it seems like the sweet spot between $, comfort, usability.

My questions:

1. I am 6'2'' and weigh 165, so I would greatly appreciate guidance about sizing for the suit. When I tried one during the course, I believe it was a L and that felt fine.
2. I would love to buy one used; given that I am very thin for my height, I will most certainly need to order new seals. Does it make most sense financially to buy new with custom sized neck/wrist seals vs buy in parts used and special order the seals?

Thanks for your help!

Very good prices right now with Whites Fusion. The PADI shop I deal with told me that Aqua Lung is selling off all the Whites branded suits and accessories. Contact a dealer and get more information.

call dive right in scuba, they have plenty of whites suits and experience with them and they are probably second to Steve Gamble in terms of repairs. I'd call them or Steve and see what they recommend.

Depending on who you buy it from a used suit can need more than just seals. Unless you buy a used one from a dealer. Silicone seals are pretty much sold as Small or Large. They have some give. Latex can come in several different sizes. You also need to find out what kind of seal system the used suit has. You might be able to just replace the seals if it has the Si-tech system or you may need to have new seals and the system installed/removed if it's not what you want. Second calling DRIS. They have been a White's dealer for years and are arguably the most knowledgeable on that system. Too bad Aqualung bought out White's. Things sound like they are going to change. They already have to some degree.

It's good to have friends! Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim and Tbone!

If your sure you need a large let me know. I have Whites Fusion Bullet that has never been in the water and has only been put on once.
Silicone seals, never cut.
Depending on boot size, you may or may not have to purchase boots.
Bought it for a family member and the fit was not correct.

Very good prices right now with Whites Fusion. The PADI shop I deal with told me that Aqua Lung is selling off all the Whites branded suits and accessories. Contact a dealer and get more information.
All AL did was remove the skins, sell them to DRIS for a killer price and send the cores to the factory to have new skins installed.

Too bad Aqualung bought out White's. Things sound like they are going to change. They already have to some degree.
One thing they changed, for the better IMO, was to resolve the saggy pocket issue.
Another change, for the better or worse is debatable, was to put a calf zipper on the skin and on the ladies suits put a V in the collar.

Awesome, thank you all!

Would you agree that for my ht/wt (6'2'' 165) a L/XL is the correct size?
I am closing in on a Whites Fusion One (right for the budget), anyone willing to give me a little confidence in it or warning against (1st dry suit purchase)?

Based on the height/weight portion of the size chart a L/XL would be fine. However, pay attention to the chest, waist, buttock, and crotch to floor measurements as those will also factor into the fit of the suit. The fusion one is a solid suit, but it seems like you're not 100% in love with the choice. Is there anything about the suit that concerns you? What about it(other than price) is attracting you to it?

---------- Post added November 30th, 2014 at 10:33 PM ----------

Also, if you don't mind blue we have some open box specials on the Fusion One. Mike bought the entire stock of the White's booth at DEMA. Take a look here.

My only concern is the lack of replaceable seals, which sounds like a convenient feature. I'm 100% love with the price, thanks for pointing me to the sale! Are you lifetime warranty offers still valid and what would a typical turn-around time be like mailing them from California? Also, do you have any for that price that would fit my wife who is very petite (5'1'' 105 lbs)...

Feel free to private message or respond to the thread, whatever you prefer...

Back
Top Bottom