New Drysuit Purchase - USIA Techniflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OtherHalf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
DiveRightInScuba had some killer Black Friday Sales, and after searching for a used suit for months and buying a suit that didn't fit right, and after reading hundreds of reviews, I decided to bite the bullet and order a custom fit suit. After some discussions with Mike Pederson at DRIS and discussing merits with some of the other suits I finally settled on the USIA Techniflex. Other suits in the running were the USIA Aqua Sport (on sale for $499), the Hollis FX100 (on sale for $1,049), and the Ursuit Heavy Light 2.0 (on sale for $1,359).

I had a few points that weeded out some of the suits. Because of my size I needed a custom fit, I wanted the ability to fit dry gloves, I wanted self-donning, I wanted neoprene socks so I could use rock boots (I didn't like the vulcanized boots for shore diving on the first drysuit I tried...), I wanted a warm collar (cold water, here I come!), and I wanted a suit that would hold up to some abuse (wrecks, here I come!). The Ursuit would have met all the requirements, but was a lot more expensive than other suits. Mike recommended against the Aqua Sport, he thought the material might not be as robust as what I was looking for. The Hollis didn't have custom sizing as an option (it may be available, I didn't ask) but otherwise was very competitive price-wise with the USIA. It was a bit of a toss-up. I liked that USIA had such a large military division (I'm Active Duty...), and I liked the reviews I had read on the USIA.

I went ahead and spec'd out the suit the way I wanted, custom sized with my measurements, SI Tech round rings, Neoprene socks (I had to request them instead of the soft or hard sole boots), exhaust valve on the upper arm, and no pockets. I had originally wanted pockets, but I've been spoiled having Halcyon Exploration pocket on my wetsuit and Mike told me the pockets weren't as large or functional as the Halcyon pockets, so I held off to put on larger pockets later. My wife finally has her sewing machine out, so I may get some cordura and try and replicate the Halcyon pocket functionality at home. Good winter project...

I added the SI Tech glove lock system to the order, along with two pairs of Atlas Gloves (1 set of 620, 1 set of 660), and a waterproof 5/10mm hood to round out the system.

The order is being sent off to USIA for construction. Info on the site says that it can take up to 3 weeks to get the suit, but being the busy season I don't really expect to get it before the new year (hope, but not expect...). Mike has been great to deal with, quick to answer questions via email or Skype and seems very knowledgeable on the suits. Being stationed in Korea it was great to have such fast responses.

I'll post an update to this post once I get the suit in with some pictures, and another when I get to take the suit out for some dives.

I wouldn't expect it for some time. Just letting you know from my experience so you don't make expensive plans that require the suit. I ordered a stock size USIA last black Friday and it arrived mid February. Maybe you will be lucky and they have improved production speed in the last year. The suits are amazing, but slow to arrive.

I always tell my customers 6-8 weeks as the suits are made to order and full customs can take a tad longer since they may need to cut custom panels instead of using stock ones. I have a guy coming tomorrow to get measured and he's 6'8" 265 or so. He's going to need a full custom and I'm cool with using 6-8 weeks as a delivery window.

I've also been browsing the used drysuit market for about a year now and also just purchased a USIA Techniflex from Dive Right in Scuba! I've been diving a back-zip, high density neoprene suit for the past 5 years (which I bought used - also for a great price!) and trying on the Techniflex was an incredible experience. Who knew I would be able to lift my arms above my shoulders! I'm going with a front entry suit with hard soles, upper arm vent, pockets (this will be my first time with pockets, too!), no replaceable seals as it looked like the ring system might interfere with my dry glove ring system and also couldn't swing it in the budget. Got fitted in store for the boot and measured for a custom fit. Always love visiting their store, staff are helpful and super nice, and have always taken care of me for drysuit repairs. Great group to dive with, too!

I was also considering the Hollis suit but after trying on a couple different brands and styles of suits in store, realized I would definitely need a custom fit or women's cut suit and the +$150 on the Techniflex was a pretty small price to pay for custom sizing.

So excited for my new suit and can't wait to dive it!

At 6'5" and 275 I can sympathize with your customer. There was just no way that an off the shelf size will work. My dive plans this winter are tropical. So I can tolerate the wait. I can dive in ice water in my 8/7, but there is no way i can do two dives a day that way. And with double 104s I need the redundant bouyancy before I can pursue any serious tech training.

Congrats to both of you! We definetely keep the USIA crowd busy at making suits come Black Friday. Right now, they seem to be on a pretty good pace. We will keep you guys posted. Before you know it, you will be posting pics of your in your new suits on here

It's been a while since I ordered, but my suit finally arrived!!! I watched with enthusiasm as my suit got closer and closer, and the wait was well worth it. I figured I'd give my initial review. This is a hands-on, try-on review of the suit and my experience, and I will write more once I get a chance to get it in the water.

First, the bad...

fabric socks. I had asked for neoprene socks and been told that wasn't an issue, but the suit came in with fabric socks. They seem like they will keep me dry, but they don't feel the same as neoprene socks. The ankle is a bit tight, there isn't much give, and they have no inherent insulation. The cut is a bit long (maybe my fault when I measured), but the sock bunches up when I put a boot on. I haven't tried these with thick socks yet, but I don't think my socks will add enough to make a serious dent in the extra length. The socks are also a thinner fabric than the rest of the suit, and I'm not sure how they will hold up. Time will tell. Maybe I got what I needed, even if not what I asked for. Time will tell.

Latex seals. One of the benefits of a replaceable seal system is the ability to use silicone seals on the neck and wrist. My emails with DRIS had led me to believe I'd be getting the silicone seals when the suit came in. Not a big issue, but new silicone wrist and neck seals are 100 bucks, so something worth mentioning.

Neck seal. SiTech replaceable seal system was on my must-have for my new suit. I'm glad I got the systems. That being said, the neck is tight. I'm 6'5" tall with a 7 3/4" hat size (with my current, military haircut...). I have no problem getting the seal over my head, but it's a tight fit getting it off. Not having a ring would make the job easier. It's tough getting the ring over my head with my fingers holding the hole open. I'm still glad I have the replacable seals, but if your head is bigger than mine, go with the quick neck. It's supposed to be more flexible and might make getting your head through easier when the diving is done.

Atlas gloves. Please start making gloves in 3XL. I'm going to research how to cut and glue the fingers to make them fit better. They are short all around and don't have space for liners. If you're not bigger than me, it's not worth worrying about.

The good...

Everything else. The fit is spot on. I've lost about 10lbs and 3" on my gut since I ordered this suit the day after thanksgiving. Its a bit big around the torso but is an overall great fit. I have enough space to do a full stretch and it's a very comfortable suit. The fabric has a very durable feel and all seams are taped and look well stitched. The suspenders and crotch strap hold the suit in place well. The front entry is a simple self-donning design, and I had no issue putting it on the first time. The suit came with all needed accouterments (inflation hose, talcum powder, zipper lube, etc.), and I'm really excited to get it in the water.

The hood is very nice. The neck flap seats neatly beneath the neck warmer on the suit and I'm not really worried about getting cold now, even in the coldest of water.

I like the SiTech system. I immediately pulled the installed seals to add the glove-lock system. The system is a tight fit. It took me some work to get the seals out but the instructions provided some hints that made things a bit easier. I got both 620 and 660 series gloves and I quickly decided on the 620s. They are significantly thinner and give more textile feedback.

The service was great. DRIS had great communication with me throughout the process. Being stationed in Korea that means a lot to me, and made me a lot more comfortable throughout the process. They happily upgraded my boots from the Hollis to the Pinnacle when the Hollis boots were back-ordered, and kept me updated throughout the process. Everything arrived intact, which is saying a lot, considering how some packages arrive at my APO.

Overall I really am very excited. My gripes are just that: gripes. The suit is overall a very handsome piece of work, and I'm quite certain it will perform well in the water. Not only am I in Korea, but I'm in command right now, so my free time is limited, to say the least. I'm hoping for a dive over Valentines day weekend, and hopefully two pool sessions before then. Please be patient waiting for an update.

More to follow when I get some time in the pool. I'll take some GoPro videos and try to get some decent footage.

IMG_1420.jpg

That suit looks amazing!

As for the socks, USIA may have put the wrong sock on....same with the seals. It should have come with the Silicone seals. The suits were delayed a little being built, because we ordered so many, so we shipped them out as fast as possible. It looks like my guys didn't catch that. Email me at mike@diverightinscuba.com and we will sort it all out :wink:

Back to the suit, that is an EXCELLENT fit! Congrats and enjoy! Also, Atlas does make a bigger glove (it's sized for a liner, as it comes with a liner so it runs bigger)
DRIS Dive Gear BLUE PVC Dry Suit Glove Replacement | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

I was finally got enough decongestants and expectorants in my system that I was able to get to the pool for a test dive. The suit performed well. I think...

The pool house was well heated, with temps in the mid 80's and humidity as one would expect in a pool house. Not only did I have no cause, or desire for undergarments, but I had sweated through my t-shirt before I was even done getting dressed. I don't think I have any leaks but until I get out in the cold water, it'll be impossible to tell. Because of the bathtub-temperature water I decided to forego the hood and my new drygloves, those tests will have to wait for another day.

This was my first time diving a membrane suit and there was a bit of a learning curve. While I have some more fine tuning to do the suit was quick to get the hang of Most of my dive time was spent trying to figure out what adjustments I needed to make to my harness, and learning to control the bubble in the suit.

I found the cut a bit large in the shoulders, but I know that will not be the case once I put on my undergarments. The calves were cut a little large (I haven't tried it on with my bottom undergarments and high socks, not sure if I'll need the room). I'm not sure if I'm going to need gaiters, or if I'm just paranoid about getting inverted. The membrane definitely behaves differently than a neoprene, and I could really fill the air moving to my feet when I was in trim. I'm going to dive it without gaiters for the time being and see if I can get better at controlling the bubble. I also know that if I can get better at keeping the blades of my fins horizontal I'll resist going foot up. Always room for improvement.

Overall I'm very happy with the suit, it performed as expected and I'm happy with the construction and fit. I did notice the fabric instead of neoprene socks, but I've already emailed Mike and I'm sure they'll take good care of me. I'm going to be calling up one of the local divers and seeing if I can get a buddy for a dive next weekend so I can really put the suit (and my skills) through the paces.

Hopefully this review was thorough enough for anyone who has been considering a USIA drysuit.

New Drysuit1.jpg

New Drysuit2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom