What do you wear when the water is in the mid to upper 70's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a 3/2 and I bought a 7mm Bare Elastek hooded vest that I plan to put over my wetsuit because I think it's going to be a bit too large to fit underneath. I tried it on over my 3/2 just around the house and 7mm is pretty damn constricting, but I'll take constricting over freezing.

I haven't dove with the hooded vest yet, but I was pretty cold last time I dove around 77F with just the 3/2.

7mm is plenty for 25°C (77°F). And I am easily cold on a dive.

You soft southerners..... for me, my 7mm is almost too warm for 77°F, but its what I have (I'll might throw on a 3mm shorty for a shallow drift but the zebra mussels are killers)..... we don't regularly see 77°F unless its the Niagara River or the St. Lawrence (July & August). On Lake Erie, if we do see it, its still 40°F below the thermocline, and that means drysuit.

For a quick recreational dip with an AL80? 3 mil is plenty. For a longer cave/technical dive? Drysuit. Cold is a factor of time.

You soft southerners..... for me, my 7mm is almost too warm for 77°F, but its what I have (I'll might throw on a 3mm shorty for a shallow drift but the zebra mussels are killers)..... we don't regularly see 77°F unless its the Niagara River or the St. Lawrence (July & August). On Lake Erie, if we do see it, its still 40°F below the thermocline, and that means drysuit.
It's funny I've lived in Florida for 4 years, prior to that I lived in New Jersey and I went to college in upstate NY, so I was used to the cold at one point. My dive computer says my last dive was actually 74F, not 77F, and I was swimming around arms crossed and moving as little as I had to!

Mid to upper 70s with 40-80 ft depth?

Usually dive a 4/3 with hooded vest (mid 70s) and 3 mm beanie (high 70s)
3mm gloves (mid 70s), reef gloves (high 70s)
5 mm boots.

time of year matters. If the mid 70s are below the thermocline than you warm up some during the safety stop which makes a difference.

Note that I wear a jacket style BCD. If I bring my arms in next to me I can feel a definite reduction in heat loss.

I am a big Wimp (that's why the capital 'W'). I am in my dry suit. BUT..........I just discovered the new heated vest by Thermolution!!!!!!!!
Aha....what a game changer. I wore it under my drysuit (I got the one you can wear both wet and dry since I am a Wimp) with minimal undergarments and was toasty warm.

The 75-78F range means a 5/4 fullsuit for me, but probably no hood. In the 70-74 range, I wear a vest beneath the suit plus a hood. Above 78 and I can be comfortable in a 3 mm. Everyone is different.

Your idea of a 7 mm vest over a 3/2 suit seems klugey and awkward to me. Dig into the wallet for a 5 mm or 5/4 mm suit and maybe you'll be more comfortable.

1mm or skins for a single dive. Sometimes just a tee shirt and trunks. 3mm is a bit much for water that warm, unless I'm doing repetitive dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom