Drysuit for a 14 year old - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzipfel

Contributor
Reaction score
My son and I have been diving for about a year now and I would like to get him a drysuit since it appears we will be at this for a while. He has bee renting a Whites Fusion and when I asked if he would like to get one, he responded "no way". I know there are a lot of fans of this suit, but he just hates getting into the suit and for his size the socks are just to big and crush his feet in the boots. He also says he feels very restricted when stretching out.

So here is my question. He is 5'10", size 11 feet, 160 lbs. Yep, a thin growing boy. Anyone have a suggestion for a suit that might fit him now and possibly keep fitting if he grows another 2 inches. The biggest problem I am finding is suits are sized for folks who are bigger around the middle. His chest is only 37 inches.

I know that it won't be a suit for the next ten years, but I would like to make the purchase pay off over the next two years vs. renting.

If you could give specifics as to why you are recommending it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Whites fusion
An original concept in drysuits . A compressing layer over the dry layer. Gives excellent range of movement and flexibility, allows a large amount of growth with no sacrifice to comfort or performance. Diverightin scuba has great deals and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The young man does not like the fusion suit. He's been renting one and wants something different. A semi custom suit with a telescoping torso will allow some room to grow.

Whites fusion
An original concept in drysuits . A compressing layer over the dry layer. Gives excellent range of movement and flexibility, allows a large amount of growth with no sacrifice to comfort or performance. Diverightin scuba has great deals and service.

Can't agree more with decompression. I'm your son's size and love my Fusion Bullet. I started wearing a S/M and it lasted me until 5'10ish, now I have a L/XL and there is still extra room to grow.

Unless he is being squished into a S/M, the suit shouldn't be restricting.

The young man does not like the fusion suit. He's been renting one and wants something different. A semi custom suit with a telescoping torso will allow some room to grow.

Thanks Jim. The HOG is still in the running. I just had to leave town so will send you measurements when I get back home on saturday.

I was pretty sure there would be recommendations for the Whites Fusion, that's why I was trying to head that one off early. He really does not like that suit. He has been renting a L/XL no squish there he just hates the way it fits/feels.

Whites fusion

Someone didn't read the original post....

My recommendation is to get a cheaper used drysuit in the $500 range since he still has some growing to do. I have seen lots of USIA drysuits and Dive Rite 905 EXP used in that price range. Every dive area has a "drysuit guy", call around and see who has some used drysuits for sale.

If money is not an issue, I might move up to a pinnacle freedom 3 for $1000 (and you can usually work additional savings). What I would not do is buy a super expensive suit that he will grow out of and then needs to be sold for 1/3 of its cost.

My son and I have been diving for about a year now and I would like to get him a drysuit since it appears we will be at this for a while. He has bee renting a Whites Fusion and when I asked if he would like to get one, he responded "no way". I know there are a lot of fans of this suit, but he just hates getting into the suit and for his size the socks are just to big and crush his feet in the boots. He also says he feels very restricted when stretching out..

Sorry to see he is having an issue with drysuit. There might be a couple things causing the issues that could be resolved though.
It might be that the suit he is using is one size to small for his height. He should have no restriction when stretching in the whites. Looks like he would be a L-XL fusion assuming the crotch to floor measurement is correct. If the body core of the suit is too short it could cause some restriction in the arms/shoulders. If his legs are longer than the suit it could cause restriction in bending and lifting legs/ putting fins on.

Here is a link to the size chart http://whitesdiving.com/images/PDF/fusion-size-chart.pdf

If the socks are too big and he feels they are crushing his feet. it might be that the rock boot is too small and he needs a thicker pair of socks.
Most of the divers I know that are using the fusion wear a boot that is 1 or 2 sizes larger than shoe size and have no issues.

Hope you can solve the issue or find a suit that works for him.

It sounds like he didn't have the correct fit with the Fusion -- in particular the boots. If he was in the L/XL one (which I'm guessing should be the one), he shouldn't have had any issues with the "socks" -- unless HIS socks and the rockboots weren't right.

It also sounds like no one taught him the proper way to get into the suit.

But, if he is adamant about NOT getting a Fusion, then I'd look at one of the inexpensive, lightweight, shell suits with the idea that he'll be getting another one in a couple of years.

BTW, in his case, instead of rockboots, I'd be looking at wetsuit booties -- which is generally what I wear with my Fusion.

I hate the internet. It's like talking to a Canadian :)D). People separated by a common language.

Here are the details:

He is 5'11", Inseam 32, chest 37.
He has been wearing a Whites Fusion size L/XL
Whites undergarments.
Wool or polartec socks.
tried the rock boots but kind of a pain in the arse especially donning fins in water for shore dives
Now he has a pair of Neoprene boots, size 13.

Soooo. Yep he has everything that SHOULD be right and he has been taught to don the suit. Pants down, wiggle in, pull them up, etc.

I like the concept behind the Fusion but if he doesn't enjoy the suit then less diving and less diving is not a good thing.

I'm not too price sensitive but full or semi custom does limit my options to sell when he grows out of it. the biggest concern is too much room in the suit and managing a problematic bubble. I figure if we can get 15-20 days of diving dry per year over two years the suit has more than payed for itself vs. renting.

thoughts?

I'd buy used, or I'd call Dive Right in Scuba. They sell more drysuits of many brands than everyone else, and they all dive dry as well. Talk to Mike Pederson. Tell him we sent you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom