Giant stride from 20 foot height in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

techapma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any risks, precautions or special techniques that apply when making a giant stride entry from a pier that is approximately 20' above the water while wearing a drysuit?

I've made the entry in a wetsuit without issue, but I've since changed over to a Fusion Tech suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd HEAVILY bet that your neck seal will burp and you will NOT be in a dry suit any longer. You'll be in your drysuit, but it won't be dry.

Get all the air out and be prepared for a dry suit wedgie. Any air in the suit will be forced up and probably out through the neck seal, forcing the suit to ride up.
If your feet have any air in them it will also vacate the area possibly allowing fins to come loose/off.

Point your fin tips down.....or they will get ripped off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the thread title I was wondering where you found a drysuit that would fit a giant twenty feet tall student.

Me too... Figured "custom" for sure... But where do you find fins for size 46 feet???

I have jumped up to about 16' off a salvage barge in an old loose fitting Poseidon Unisuit. The dump valves were manual and on the chest then. We were in commercial FFMs and on an umbilical but that shouldn’t make much difference. The neck dam would burp when we hit the water but we were still floating high until manually dumping the suit.

Attachments

• bandmask.jpg
    bandmask.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 350
Are there any risks, precautions or special techniques that apply when making a giant stride entry from a pier that is approximately 20' above the water while wearing a drysuit?

I've made the entry in a wetsuit without issue, but I've since changed over to a Fusion Tech suit.

How do you make the exit?

Thanks for the feedback, seeing the humor in my autocorrect fail.

I suspected the neck seal would burp as described above, but I wasn't sure if that could be mitigated some way like inflating my BC all the way.

Las for the exit, we generally work our way back to the shore where we climb out on the rocks. The reason we jump in is the pier is very long and we go very slow, generally using all of our air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom