Rochester Wide Bands - Male Adhesive & Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys, sorry if this has been addressed before, but today was my drysuit certification class and first day wearing a condom catheter for the p-valve, so I had a question that came up this morning while prepping for the dives:

I got a few different sizes of the Rochester Wide Bands to use with my p-valve and I followed the directions for figuring out what size I needed. When attempting to put on the condom cath this morning, I realized that even in a size technically bigger than I measured, the "head" does not clear the glue area of the cath, resulting in glue on the "head" portion as well as the "pipe" portion (my top is wider than my pole). So is the glue area supposed to include the bottom of the "head" area, or should the cath tip be wider than the "head" so you don't get any glue on that part?

FWIW, the p-valve worked fine even with the cath stuck where it was, although it made getting it off a little more difficult.

Thanks!

I'm In the same boat as you, glue on the head, dosent affect the way it works for me, never had a problem yet.

then to you too, next dive try the pop-on instead of the wide band, same glue same catheter, just 1.5" instead of 3" band. I was diving the wide bands for a long time, and the popons are easier and less painful for removal and haven't had a blowout yet.

The same Rochester made also models with less glue.
Suggestion : for less pain for removal shave your friend before wearing catheter.

Rochester Wide Bands to use with my p-valve and I followed the directions for figuring out what size I needed. When attempting to put on the condom cath this morning, I realized that even in a size technically bigger than I measured, the "head" does not clear the glue area of the cath, resulting in glue on the "head" portion as well as the "pipe" portion (my top is wider than my pole). So is the glue area supposed to include the bottom of the "head" area, or should the cath tip be wider than the "head" so you don't get any glue on that part?

More glue = less leaks, so as long as you can remove it without tears or blood and it works, I'd call it a "win".

flots.

Lots of tears (the crying type, not the ripping type) on the last one, so I ordered some bigger wide bands and a few pop-ons to test out. I've emailed a bunch of medical suppliers regarding the "proper" glue placement on the wide bands, but no replies yet. I can see where "more glue = less leaks," and having some glue on the lower portion of the "head" makes sense, but if the glue is too close to the tip, then the possibility (for me anyway) of gluing yourself "shut" is just too great. At least I was warm in the suit. :wink:

You can try rubbing some saliva or other lubricant on the parts you don't want glued.

I had a different problem where the neck of the catheter (the area between the wide part and the tube) sticks together and blocks the urine, and I solved this by putting saliva on the silicone to prevent sticking.

You can try rubbing some saliva or other lubricant on the parts you don't want glued.

LOL.. Ya, I've asked Mrs. Stoo to help with that in the past, but then we never get in the water... :D

Back
Top Bottom