Wear points on a drysuit with harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HungoverDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, this is my 3rd thread in here on drysuits, and I'll happily inform you all that I've purchased at TLS350 from the DUI outlet via my LDS.

It's going back to DUI for final leak test/seals added and to have a cloverleaf crotch pad added. My LDS talked me into adding the crotchpad, for $170 part + labor, because I use a BP+W kit and the crotch strap will rub and then damage the drysuit. I was a bit skeptical, since I've been hurt my other LDS on issues like this ("you totally need a spare air!") but since the cost goes directly to DUI, I figured it wasn't them trying to milk more money out of me.

They also talked to me about adding padding to my harness, also to prevent wear, such as these pad below. I did not get these yet.

Amazon.com : ScubaPro X-Tek Shoulder Pad Set : Diving Buoyancy Compensators : Sports & Outdoors

Overall, I'm a bit skeptical. I understand knee pads and butt pads for wrecks and rough benches surfaces. But how often does 2" webbing rub through trilam? Is it more the d-ring/weight retainers? Was the cloverleaf crotch pad worth the money? For $2500, I thought it would be durable enough that the dive harness wouldn't damage it!

Has anyone experienced this happing with a BP+W? Should I add padding to my shoulders on the harness?

Thanks guys!

It is not durable enough, the suit is designed to be as light weight as possible, not as durable, the FLX gets that distinction. The shoulder pads do not need to be padded but the crotch strap should be. Crotch strap is the worst wear point especially if you are using the same stiff webbing on the crotch as you are for the shoulders. If you use an unpadded crotch strap it should not be resin impregnated otherwise it will absolutely wear a hole in the suit quite quickly.

Not sure where you are or where you'll be diving, but if it's relatively warm water,
Basic Harness Shoulder Pads - Dive Right in Scuba
these pads will be better. They're just neoprene sleeves that will save your shoulders but won't really matter with the drysuit. Dive Rite makes the same pad for their 2" crotch strap that DRiS will have as well and that is most important.

It is not durable enough, the suit is designed to be as light weight as possible, not as durable, the FLX gets that distinction.

Gotcha. I guess that makes sense, but I'm still a little shocked.

Crotch strap is the worst wear point especially if you are using the same stiff webbing on the crotch as you are for the shoulders. If you use an unpadded crotch strap it should not be resin impregnated otherwise it will absolutely wear a hole in the suit quite quickly.

I have very stiff webbing for all parts of my harness, so I'm assuming it's resin impregnated. And stiff crotch strap with cloverleaf crotch reinforcement on the drysuit is ok, right?

I will be diving in SoCal.

I would still recommend getting the padded crotch strap from Dive Rite. Shoulder pads will be fine.

Don't be shocked, that suit was designed for caves and travel, not for durability. It is a durable suit and will last you many years if you take care of it, just don't think it is something it is not. The crotch pad was a wise decision, the nice thing is that as that wears you can have it replaced independent of the drysuit itself, so you don't need a padded crotch strap, but it will help make everything last longer. Call Dive Gear Express and ask for the shoulder pads and a padded crotch strap, be a bit under $40 shipped and worth every penny.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml#1798

I've got a TLS350 without the cloverleaf (and one with it) and I have literally hundreds of scooter dives on the suit sans cloverleaf. The crotch is the part that leaks the least often with that suit. Nothing wrong with the cloverleaf, but not essential on the TLS. Any additional coverage isn't needed either, but some Cordura knee overlays are a decent option. No need for shoulder strap pads, especially. Worthless.

The cloverleaf IS essential on an FLX however. The FLX material wears completely different than the slick TLS fabric.

Only owned a TLS350 for a year or two, without crotch strap, and it seemed plenty solid. I never treated it carefully, and had no concerns. But I've always used a Dive Rite neoprene sleeve on the crotch strap, and I only did a handful of scooter dives in it.

Any drysuit will leak eventually, I'd still have the TLS350 if I had bought it a size larger. Good suits. I like the tiny tubes of aquaseal, so you can patch small leaks without feeling like you should wait for more to pop up before you open up a tube, and Harbor Freight has the little brushes that work well for aquaseal.

Did you get it with zip seals or not?

I like the tiny tubes of aquaseal, so you can patch small leaks without feeling like you should wait for more to pop up before you open up a tube

Another way is to go for a monster tube. I'm on my second 8 oz tube of AquaSeal. Keep it in the freezer and use a 1" length bolt in the tube neck to close it. My first tube was actively used for over 2 years before I had a big project and finished it off. While the little tubes are convenient, they are much more expensive, and can be accidentally punctured in your bag.

I have saved a lot by going the "bulk" route. Just warm the tube in hot water and it quickly warms to a flowable consistency.

Another way is to go for a monster tube. I'm on my second 8 oz tube of AquaSeal. Keep it in the freezer and use a 1" length bolt in the tube neck to close it. My first tube was actively used for over 2 years before I had a big project and finished it off. While the little tubes are convenient, they are much more expensive, and can be accidentally punctured in your bag.

I have saved a lot by going the "bulk" route. Just warm the tube in hot water and it quickly warms to a flowable consistency.

Huh I kept my huge tube in the fridge, without a bolt and after 6 months I had to cut off from the bottom end to get stuff out. I'll have to try your bolt and freezer idea.

Of course in the last year with only two major leaks in two dry suits both happened while I was out of town. One was so bad it required an entire small tube! And now that I think about it that was on a tls350, the entire zip ring fell off of the suit.

Silicone zip seals should be very nice! Congrats on buying a nice suit that should last a decade or more!

Huh I kept my huge tube in the fridge, without a bolt and after 6 months I had to cut off from the bottom end to get stuff out.

Before I started using the bolt (because I damaged the cap LOL) I would have to dig out the hardened aquaseal under the cap. What a pain. Since using the bolt I only have to clean of a few scraps of hardened material. The bolt goes deep enough into the tube. Do make sure to push the aquaseal all the way to the opening before screwing in the bolt. BTW IIRC it is a 3/8" bolt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom