Leaking Drysuit in Warm Water--Do You Notice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For those that wear drysuits in warm water locations (70F+), do you ever notice if you have a small leak from a wrist seal or pin-sized hole etc.? For those that have experienced a flooded suit in those temps, was it uncomfortable or not a big deal?

Since no one wears drysuits here, there's not many options for servicing. Just wondering how big of a deal it will be when my suit starts to leak. Wearing 4th Element Xerotherm+Halo 3D at the moment.

It hasn't been a problem for me. I always get some niggling leak when I dive the springs (70F) and it's not uncomfortable at all, even when the air temps are low. The best part about a dry suit is that it stops the wind and the resultant evaporation causing coolness.

Just before i replaced my seals this fall, my left wrist seal leaked pretty bad lol

I would flood the arm and chest every dive I did......although i could feel the water in my sleeve, it was no bother.

Dives were 65°+

I had once small leak on the back. On this time I dove in 75+ water I mostly never feel it during a dive, but after dive was surprised how much I sweating.
Till once I found half boot with water. Not nice feeling was mostly after dive and not during. In 70 and low you will feel the leak immediately.

I sometimes dive in drysuit here in Thailand just to get a hang of it, and used to have slight leak on my wrist seals and neck seal. Water temp is around 80-85 F (27-30 C). I could feel the leak when I was in the water, it didn't bother me (in the water). But on the surface, when I had repetitive dives that day, it started getting smelly. Mixture of sweat and water on undergarment that bother me.
I got seal kits from DRIS and replaced them myself, couldn't be happier by staying dry all dives.

I usually feel it pretty clearly, but not with any discomfort in warmer waters. It's just wet, not cold. As NetDoc implied, getting out of the water with a drysuit and damp undergarments beats the heck out of diving wet when it's less than warm and balmy topside.

Well... Last summer I did a dive here in Norway. (We never have more than 18C/64F) I am usually never cold, so I was a bit puzzled that my last few dives had felt "not warm". Ie, not even chilly... However, my undergarment is made of fleece so I struggled to feel if there really was a leak... I just had a hunch. So.. I put on a solid colour tshirt and went diving.. Was warm an happy when I got up. No troubles at all...

My tshirt looked like this, and my boots had to be emptied by the time I got up.
995683_10151417822261467_1106426393_n.jpg

Many times I've noticed a trickle of water running down the back of my neck when I twist my head down. 70 degree water is definitely noticeable to me. On the other hand, my boots have a bit of dry rot (which have since been remedied by a 24 oz tube of Aquaseal) and I never felt the water trickling in, although my feet would be drenched at the end of a dive. I guess feet are less sensitive than necks to water.

You'll know how big a deal it is when it starts to leak. I've gotten wet in my dry suit quite a few times, both in warm and cold water. It's not the greatest sensation in the world, but I'd rather bring along a second set of underwear for my second dive than miss a month of diving while DUI fits it into their schedule and fixes it.

Of course, that depends upon the water temperature. A small leak in August (65 - 70 F) is no big deal. In December (45 - 50 F) it's a whole 'nother story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom