DIY neoprene neck seal replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nldiver1984

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a drysuit that's about 20 years old. I took it to the shop to have all the leaks patched and new neoprene wrist seals installed for $100. The problem is the neck seal which also needs to be replaced. The shop quoted me about $200 to get this replaced. Is it better to just do it myself? I have a latex neck seal lying around that I haven't used. Can a latex seal be used with a neoprene suit? I don't want to pay the extra money to put a new neck seal on this suit if I don't have to. It's an old suit so I'm probably better saving my money and getting a new suit. Here's the suit:

294s8pv.jpg

Maybe I could give the shop my latex neck seal and they could just charge me labor?

DRIS Dive Gear Dry Adhesive Drysuit Tape | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
you can swap to latex if you want, no issue with the suit accepting latex.
Would recommend getting the tape as linked above, it makes the whole concept stupid simple.

Neoprene Neck Seals - Accessories - Dry Suits & Undies - EXPOSURE GEAR - Dive Right in Scuba
If you want to replace with neoprene seal, there's one. These guys are great drysuit gurus and is worth a call or few emails to the guys over there

It fits fine with some thermals inside. The techs at the shop told me I should really invest in an Abyss drysuit but they are over $2000 and I don't have the money to look at buying a new drysuit right now. The only think I don't like about this one is the manual dump valve on the chest.

they just want you to buy more stuff from them.... Call or email Dive Right in Scuba in Illinois. I'm betting for under $300 they can have you in a new neck seal and put an automatic dump valve on the shoulder.

FWIW they only charge $115 to replace the neoprene neck seals, $85 for a Si-Tech exhaust valve, and probably $50 in labor to install it. You'd have to ship it over to them, but it'd be worth it.

Sounds like they are trying to upsell you. Have a competent shop install a new dump valve and seal, or put one in yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom