dry suit underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just generic full length technical underwear (that very thin moisture wicking layer - available in any sports store),
and a thick fiber overall ( something like this: Ursuit X-Tex Heavy Finnfill 1,97 Clo | Ursuk (there are numerous producers))

Some people use a third layer in between. Perhaps fleece or something like http://www.woolpower.se/en/material/ullfrotte-original-the-material/

In a little bit warmer waters I might use technical underwear and some thin fleece or wool, not a thick overall. The first layer keeps the skin dry and the second layer traps some air as insulation.

Wool, fleece, fiber... are good but avoid cotton if you can.

I use a top and pants base layer like one of these Hunting Base Layers & Cold Weather Gear | Bass Pro Shops
I then add an old set of wool long johns and last I put on a whites MK3 Thermal undergarment. on my feet I start with a pair of long silk socks then I add some hiking sock and last a heavy pair of wool socks.I can subtract or add depending on the water temps I will be diving in . The above items is what I use in water temps down to 42*

Technical base layer (I have two types : basic and warmer ones) + bare 200 undersuit

In temps above 16 Celsius : just the undersuit or a sharkskin suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In the summer when water temps average about 57° F - 65° F, I just use a medium weight Under Armor with a pair of normal under shorts. When the water temps average about 50° F to 56° F, I will just go with my Whites Thermal Fusion with a pair of normal under shorts and any colder than that and I combine the two undergarments. The Under Armor is great for wicking the moisture away from my body and the Thermal Fusion takes the moisture outsde of itself to keep it further away from my body.

i saw some people who use TPS Thinsulate Extreme
seem like this company make a bankrup.

any advice about this underwear, information about size chart (one of their web site is very old)

thanks

Lets say I told you you would be standing for long periods of time in the cold, would you know what to wear?

Next to skin should be wicking materials. You can wear your boxers if you want.

You then want an insulating layer. Jogging pants and shirt are fine.

You can get many tech fabrics for each layer.

Summer, neoprene DS: wool mesh with thin wool underwear on top.

Winter, trilam DS: wool mesh with a 200gsm drysuit undergarment on top. On really cold days I'm adding a wool terry T-shirt or two, long or short sleeve as needed.

Feet: wool terry socks with thick knitted wool socks outside.

Under drygloves: knitted wool gloves.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of technical wool underwear. There's no other fiber that keeps you as warm and dry when you get damp and wet.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

The reason for the popularity of long/technical underwear is as follows:

1) a drysuit is often made of trilaminate or rubber and does not feel especially comfortable against naked skin (in my opinion)

2) a drysuit is, in effect, a plastic bag (the Ursuit BDS breathing diving suit may be an exception), and as there is always some perspiration (sweat), you will get a bit wet. A moisture wicking layer and an absorbing layer on top keeps you dry (warm) and comfortable

3) if the water is warm, and less clothing is needed, then get something that at least can absorb some sweat and still feel dry/warm (e.g. some sort of light wool underwear)

4) wet cotton anywhere makes me feel miserable, maybe you too

Some further notes

a) thick woollen socks are wonderfull (and thin liners)

b) the short white Hestra inner gloves ("insulated liner short") are the best inner gloves that I have found (for drygloves in icy waters). Look here: https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/liners/ I also own the longer "insulated liner finger" (Quallofil fiber). I use these in +2C/36F water. The longer ones either need to go under the wrist seal (which stretches/loosens over time) or they need to be folded back over themselves (no stretching of seals, but colder wrists).

Last edited:
Very good points, except
wet cotton anywhere makes me feel miserable, maybe you too
should read:

Wet cotton anywhere makes anyone miserable.

As I say ad nauseam: cotton is the best fiber to keep you cold if it's cold

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Back
Top Bottom