Dish washing liquid ok for drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As per title.

I have a hard time getting my wrists out of my suit post dive and am afraid that I will end up tearing one. I have seen people recommend KY but over here, as with most things, it's rather expensive and not that common, I guess they are a suitably lubricated people. If it's the best then I'll get it but was wondering if diluted, non scented, clear dishwashing liquid would be ok to use? i.e. won't accelerate sel degradation in any way. I did try a search but never have much luck with SBs search function. Cheers.

Oh it's a Santi with latex wrist seals and silicone neck if that makes any difference.

I'd say that washing liquid will be alright with your silicone neck, but with latex, I wonder, even if it's diluted, non scented, clear dishwashing liquid. Again, I'd advise KY. What I'd would to cut the price, is to buy some beyond the expiration date. It will still be perfect for putting on your suit. Did that a few years back, worked nice.

I'd say that washing liquid will be alright with your silicone neck, but with latex, I wonder, even if it's diluted, non scented, clear dishwashing liquid. Again, I'd advise KY. What I'd would to cut the price, is to buy some beyond the expiration date. It will still be perfect for putting on your suit. Did that a few years back, worked nice.

Cool, OK KY it is. I imagine I couldn't buy expired KY here. I'd rather spend $20 on a tube of KY than have to prematurely replace wrist seals. Thank you.

My drysuit manual said vegetable oil was OK. I thought I would give it a try in a week or 2.

My drysuit manual said vegetable oil was OK. I thought I would give it a try in a week or 2.

It might well say that but DON'T! If the bottle leaks it will be all over your kit, the deck, everywhere, causing mayhem that can only be cleaned off with detergent.

Use a water-soluble lubricant.

Go to your local veterinary supplies company and get a veterinary lubricant. It does exactly the same as KY but at a fraction of the cost.

what hickdive said, doesn't have to be ky, doesn't necessarily have to be unscented but you want a lube that is latex compatible and water soluble, so most any sort of personal lubricate will work and the veterinary ones are the same thing. Worst case, befriend a vet, and see if you can get some from them

It might well say that but DON'T! If the bottle leaks it will be all over your kit, the deck, everywhere, causing mayhem that can only be cleaned off with detergent.

Use a water-soluble lubricant.

Go to your local veterinary supplies company and get a veterinary lubricant. It does exactly the same as KY but at a fraction of the cost.

That makes sense. Thanks!

That makes sense. Thanks!

You're welcome.

I was once on a boat with someone who decided baby oil was the very thing for lubricating his dry suit seals (despite the fact that it rots latex).

His bottle leaked all over the boat deck and chaos ensued. Hilarious as people slid from side to side with all their gear on but dangerous too, divers have died as a result of falls whilst kitted.

? I've always used diluted baby shampoo.

Back
Top Bottom