Si Tech Silicone Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there a difference between the black and blue Si tech silicone seals? It seems (at least to me) like the blue ones are slightly thicker and more robust than the black ones?

I have black seals on my Fusion compared to blue on my buddies. He is dry while I have small leaks occasionally? We both agree the problems is likely the wrist seals.

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you sure it's not a trimming issue? I also have the black seals but have never had issues with them leaking. Only leak I ever had in that suit was a pinhole near the knee....

The seals are not trimmed and give great coverage around my wrist.

Not all wrists are created equal. I know several people who get minor leaks at their wrists when using a reel or spool. It has to do with the shape and depth of the tendons

Is there much of an age difference? I have heard that the earliest wrist and neck seals were on the thin side so they modified the tooling. I doubt there is a difference in thickness on the seals produced today since they very like use the same expensive tooling to mold them. However, it is possible the formulation of the Silicon is a little different.

Silicone Wrist - Seals - Products - SI-TECH

Not all wrists are created equal. I know several people who get minor leaks at their wrists when using a reel or spool. It has to do with the shape and depth of the tendons

Really? That is interesting.

I would imagine then that folks with larger circumference wrists are less likely to experience leaks?

I usually get some water in through the seals. When I used latex seals I either had a smaller size wrist seal and swollen hands, which was not good at all, or a comfortable size and some water would go in. Now I have silicone seals and I was expecting them to perform better since they are more flexible, but water still gets in, especially if needing to use my hands more doing some task. I got the regular size that comes with the ring system and would like to try the small size and see if they fit and are better.

Tom

I think it is more an issue of the shape of the wrist. I am a short guy and have small wrists, but there are no significant concave areas between tendons regardless if what my fingers are doing. Wrist seals have always worked well for me and the Silicon seals are fantastic. No seal is going to work well if the material has to stretch across a small canyon.

Really? That is interesting.

I would imagine then that folks with larger circumference wrists are less likely to experience leaks?
Its not really related to the size or shape of the wrist but how much the ligaments move. Akimbo pretty well summed it up. Some folks have deeper areas where the ligaments and such are at the wrist. This can create a temporary "canyon" when flexing the wrist or moving the hands which can allow for seepage at the wrist. That's why some find their wrist area occasionally damp after a dive where the hands were used more. [emoji2]

So I guess the solution is dry gloves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom