Latex Neck Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anyway of stretching a latex neck seal..?? It's uncomfortable around the neck but the LDS I got it from said as long as your not turning bright red or blue for that matter it's ok. I find it really tight, and after a dive I have a ring left around my neck.. Is there anything I can do about it??

Firediver:
Is there anyway of stretching a latex neck seal..?? It's uncomfortable around the neck but the LDS I got it from said as long as your not turning bright red or blue for that matter it's ok. I find it really tight, and after a dive I have a ring left around my neck.. Is there anything I can do about it??

You can try putting a ball or something to stretch it but latex wont stretch anywhere near as well as neoprene.

Ive recently had a new suit, the default neck was too big, got it replaced and the new one made me turn blue :)

They should NOT be painfully tight no matter who says that, they can seal perfectly well without being painful (which can be dangerous).

Most (every one ive seen!) latex seals have a ring type design so that you customise the tightness by cuttting these rings one at a time with a good cutter or knife.

Cut one ring off, try it on, decide if you need more, repeat. Do it one at a time as once a ring is cut you cant stick it back.

Stretching works on latex to a certain extent by putting a large jug or something similiar item in it for a couple days.

The other thing I was wondering is it actually too tight or not?

One "scientific method" I use is to listen to someones voice when they are talking. If it is distorted then generally the neck seal is too tight.

Of course, if your head is starting to resemble a tomato after 2 minutes you might have a problem :cheeky:

When I got my DS the neck seal was also vey tight on me, I trimmed a little at a time off and wore the seal lower on my neck instead of high up like a tuttle neck, that helped alot even though your neck is thicker closer to the torso you will be able to handle the tightness with out feeling choked.

I have the feeling of being choked, and after one dive then my neck is getting sore. I do have rings on the neck but I am worried about cutting it cause if I do nick it some where then I am screwed.. it's a new dry suit and would hate to mess it up..

If you dont feel comfortable cutting the seal back, bring the suit back to your LDS, and tell them that the seal is too tight, and ask if they could cut it for you. Its not safe to dive with a seal that is too tight. Stretching it wont do anything, you need to cut it. A latex seal does not have to be tight on your neck to keep a good seal. Many people dive with their latex seals way too tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom